Failed Gearbox

david_hornet27

VIP Member
Hi everyone. I bought a VW T6 startline panel van at the start of April from a big van dealer in Reading. The van is financed but I put down a £5K deposit. I also took out an Autoguard premium warranty which cost £800. The dealer insisted on this because I didn't finance the van through them.

It has 70000 miles on it and is an ex Eon energy van. When I first got it there was a nagging doubt that something wasn't right with the gearbox/clutch but I wasn't really sure and had heard these vans are pretty noisy anyway.

The nagging doubts wouldn't go away, and the more I drove it the more I was convinced something wasn't right. Harsh engagement when lifting the clutch, and having to drive like Miss Daisy to negate that.

Anyway I called the dealer and told them my concern, and they told me to call the warranty company. Warranty company told me to book it into a garage and get them to diagnose it and then contact them again when I had a diagnosis.

Today the garage I took it to for the diagnosis told me that it needs a new gearbox. They did a video of how they have ruled out clutch/DMF/wheel bearing and are sure it is bearings or similar that are failing in the box.

I'm amazed a box has gone after only 70K miles but I am reasonable with mechanical things and I trust the garage have got it right.

My first thought is now to call the warranty company back and take it forward through them, but as far as I can work out from the T&Cs they will only cover up to £1000 on parts and labour. I'm pretty sure a new gearbox and labour will be much more than that.

Should I rethink and go back to the dealer and make a fuss about it with them? It seems very unfair after 1000 miles and a 10 weeks that I should have to pay anything. The attraction of buying from the dealer was that they claim to have done all necessary checks, but they clearly missed a failing gearbox.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received.

What was the attraction of buying an £800 warranty for a £1000 claim limit ? Not being harsh, I just don't get it...
It's £1000 per claim. And yes I wouldn't have bothered but the dealer insisted they would only sell the van with a warranty, I guess because I didn't finance the van through them so it eroded their margin.

Also I wasn't really thinking something so major would go wrong. More fool me.

And yes I wouldn't have bothered but the dealer insisted they would only sell the van with a warranty, I guess because I didn't finance the van through them so it eroded their margin.
Do you have that in writing? Because that sounds like an unfair contract term, I don't believe a dealer can couple a sale with you taking out the warranty they provide.

I'd have a good read of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and find your local CAB to consider getting some legal advice. In particular note your rights at the 30 day point (which sadly you are past) and the 6 months point (which you are not)

Do you have that in writing? Because that sounds like an unfair contract term, I don't believe a dealer can couple a sale with you taking out the warranty they provide.

I'd have a good read of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and find your local CAB to consider getting some legal advice. In particular note your rights at the 30 day point (which sadly you are past) and the 6 months point (which you are not)

Totally. Think PPP on bank loans a few years back.
Gat a quote for the work. Then tell the dealer you will claim the 1k from the warranty and that you expect them to cover any remaining balance otherwise you will return the van under consumer rights.

Unfortunately the right to reject is the one that closes at 30 days.

However until 6 months you have the right to repair or replacement and the dealer is only allowed one attempt at repair (so they can't string you along instead).

Given what you state about the warranty I'd really strongly suggest some legal advice rather than forum advice if you invested significant money in the vehicle.

Unfortunately the right to reject is the one that closes at 30 days.

However until 6 months you have the right to repair or replacement and the dealer is only allowed one attempt at repair (so they can't string you along instead).

Given what you state about the warranty I'd really strongly suggest some legal advice rather than forum advice if you invested significant money in the vehicle.
Thanks very much for this. Really helpful advice which was gratefully received while my head was still spinning from the diagnosis of broken gearbox.

I will go back to the dealer tomorrow and ask for a replacement gearbox and labour as I have only had the vehicle for 10 weeks. It's good to know my rights before speaking with them.

Reactions: CAB
Thanks very much for this. Really helpful advice which was gratefully received while my head was still spinning from the diagnosis of broken gearbox.

I will go back to the dealer tomorrow and ask for a replacement gearbox and labour as I have only had the vehicle for 10 weeks. It's good to know my rights before speaking with them.
Put it an email so that you have a formal record, verbal conversations are hard to use as evidence unless they are time stamp recorded.

I thought I'd give a bit of an update on this just in case it can help anyone in future. Symptoms are listed further up the post but basically there was sometimes a bang when putting into gear, and also harsh clutch noise (banging again) when reaching the biting point unless I was driving really slowly and feeding the clutch in much more carefully than you would expect to need to do. Was more prominent in 1st and 2nd gear changes but was there in all gears.

So the dealer has been great and took the van in on Tuesday with no arguments or any push back, and have solved the problem and got the van back to me on Friday.

It turned out the thrust bearing was failing and also the gearbox mount. They have replaced all parts and the van feels normal to drive, I can change gear and lift the clutch without any bangs or other horrible noises.

Well pleased and can now get back to work next week.

Back