Fault Code U112500 Additional Installations Detected

DMcCook

VIP Member
I'm hoping someone can help me understand how to debug this strange error, as per the subject line, that I've just found using OBDeleven on our T6.1 van.
The error is on the Gateway control unit.
I've tried clearing it several times but it is persistent so I guess the additional installation is still there and hasn't been correctly coded??
It seems to be the opposite to the missing devices discussed in this old thread but I dunno how to find what is causing the fault....
- How do I create the full scan report discussed in the older thread above?
- How do I identify what the installation is that has been detected?
- I have failed to work out how to find the full scan report or the list of devices discussed in that thread.
As noted in this thread, I replace our steering wheel in June. I never bothered checking OBD at the time because it just worked without any problems. This is the only modification I've done this year, other than the LED headlight bulbs late last year but I'm pretty sure I cleared the errors that the bulbs were causing.
- Could it be the different switches on the steering wheel that are being seen as additional installations?
Sorry to be so useless - I hope someone can point me in the right direction to clear this up.
Thanks!
David

- How do I create the full scan report discussed in the older thread above?
OBDeleven > Connect > Scan.... Email the report to yourself (tap envelope icon)

- How do I identify what the installation is that has been detected?
Well, obviously would be easy by comparing with the scan before the modification.
Old scans can be found under Your vehicle > History > Email to yourself
NOTE: Under History there is a Filter (an icon next to email) to select what to pick up from the history for sending to yourself.

OR just post the scan report here so the Forum can advise.

Thanks MMI,
I’ve attached 2 scan reports - one from May last year with no faults and the one today that has this annoying Additional Installation fault.
I can’t see any difference apart from the fault.
How / where do I look to see what installation it is detecting??
Thanks again. :)

Attachments

• OBDeleven_Log 1-9-24 Checked.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 1
  • OBDeleven_Log 8-5-23.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 1
As noted in this thread, I replace our steering wheel in June.
Could it be the different switches on the steering wheel that are being seen as additional installations?
Was the original wheel without any buttons, or just different buttons?

I can’t see any difference apart from the fault.
True, unfortunately the OBDeleven somehow created an abridged scan report - without controller codings and without listing submodules of the controllers. Just checked a few of my old reports (2 years old) and the codings and submodules were reported there then. Perhaps OBDeleven has decided to make the reports more user friendly :mad:

Anyways, let's try a different way - should work even straight on the phone (even without connecting the van) as OBDeleven cunningly stores all the data in their servers.

OBDeleven > Control Units > 19 Gateway > Info --- please make a screenshot​
OBDeleven > Control Units > 19 Gateway > Subsystems --- please make a screenshot​
OBDeleven > Control Units > 19 Gateway > Subsystems > E221__MFL... > Info --- please make a screenshot​

Was the original wheel without any buttons, or just different buttons?

True, unfortunately the OBDeleven somehow created an abridged scan report - without controller codings and without listing submodules of the controllers. Just checked a few of my old reports (2 years old) and the codings and submodules were reported there then. Perhaps OBDeleven has decided to make the reports more user friendly :mad:

Anyways, let's try a different way - should work even straight on the phone (even without connecting the van) as OBDeleven cunningly stores all the data in their servers.

OBDeleven > Control Units > 19 Gateway > Info --- please make a screenshot​
OBDeleven > Control Units > 19 Gateway > Subsystems --- please make a screenshot​
OBDeleven > Control Units > 19 Gateway > Subsystems > E221__MFL... > Info --- please make a screenshot​
The original wheel had one different button on the front and no DSG paddles. The new wheel has the other assist button and DSG paddles. It just works without any apparent problem. I never checked OBD when I swapped wheels because I was assured it was a simple swap.
Obviously I don’t know if this is the cause of the error. I’m not sure I can be bothered swapping wheels back just to test that - removing the airbag is a pain!
That’s interesting about the abridged reports - I was wondering how we were supposed to glean anything from these very brief details. :)
My partner just took off in the van for a few days so I’ll have to put this investigation on hold until she returns.
thanks for your help.

No need to swap the wheel. No need to have even the van.
Just launch the OBDeleven app and make the screenshots - the data will be in the screenshots :thumbsup:

No need to swap the wheel. No need to have even the van.
Just launch the OBDeleven app and make the screenshots - the data will be in the screenshots :thumbsup:
Screenshots attached. I’m not sure it’s showing all that it would if it was connected? There is no E221 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IMG_9803.png

IMG_9806.png

IMG_9807.png

IMG_9808.png

Screenshots attached. I’m not sure it’s showing all that it would if it was connected? There is no E221 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1725180957892.png
Well, it seems that also the alternator is missing :rolleyes:

Perhaps it's a mssing feature of iOS version of the OBDeleven software - or the subsystems needs to be coded to show correctly. It seems that the gateway has detected the subsystem.

Also find interesting that the gateway information doesn't show the coding - what about tapping the long coding?

Below how Android version reports a T6.1 connected four years ago.

OBD11-T6.1-Gateway_info.jpg
OBD11-T6.1-Gateway_submodules.jpg
OBD11-T6.1-Gateway_submodules_E221.jpg

For comparison below how VCDS reports the same (the same vehicle)
Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533)       Labels:| 3Q0-907-530-V1.clb
   Part No SW: 3Q0 907 530 AC    HW: 3Q0 907 530 C
   Component: GW MQB High   521 5388 
   Serial number: 05071910522222
   Coding: 030100344F05730400000008000F00010001070000000000000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 00012 790 00017
   ASAM Dataset: EV_GatewNF 013026
   ROD: EV_GatewNF_VW27.rod
   VCID: 70BADA713A2A6D61197B-8024

Alternator:
   Component: 4-00-11-01-04 

Multi Function Steering Wheel Control Module:
   Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 3G0 959 442 D    HW: 3G0 959 442 D
   Component: E221__MFL-PR6  H06 0110
   Serial number: PR6-0440036164190360
   Coding: 241C00

Battery Monitoring Control Module:
   Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 7E0 915 181 L    HW: 7E0 915 181 L
   Component: J367-BDMConti  H03 1051
   Serial number: 77197200001907310410

No fault code found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the MFSW control module (MFL) is currently not coded as "Installed"?

OBD11-T6.1-Gateway_info_coding.jpg

Long Coding shows pages and pages of things. The MFL is installed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I imagined there would be a page that showed some device as detected but not identified??
It seems bizarre that it says it’s detected something but doesn’t give any details of what or where it’s detected. :-(

IMG_2113.png

IMG_2111.png

IMG_2112.png

IMG_2109.png

I imagined there would be a page that showed some device as detected but not identified??
That would have been nice but OBDeleven just reads and interprets the existing coding - and the gateway just isn't happy what it sees - probably some unexpected messages on the bus.

What was the part number of the old controller, and what's the replacement part number?

That would have been nice but OBDeleven just reads and interprets the existing coding - and the gateway just isn't happy what it sees - probably some unexpected messages on the bus.

What was the part number of the old controller, and what's the replacement part number?
As per the photos…
ORIGINAL WHEEL = 2GM419089AF M/-/-/- AM
NEW Wheel bought 5-1-24 = 3G0419089BP M/T/-/HOD TA

IMG_9991.jpeg

IMG_0043.jpeg

As per the photos…
ORIGINAL WHEEL = 2GM419089AF M/-/-/- AM
NEW Wheel bought 5-1-24 = 3G0419089BP M/T/-/HOD TA
I believe the part numbers are for the steering wheel itself. The part numbers seen by scanning tools are the numbers for multifunction button sets as these are the communicating part.

Could it be the different switches on the steering wheel that are being seen as additional installations?
My guess is that the current button set is somehow incompatible with the gateway because the E221_MFL... was not seen/registered as gateway's submodule. So possibly the gateway somehow "senses" the existence of something - the foreign button set?

I believe the part numbers are for the steering wheel itself. The part numbers seen by scanning tools are the numbers for multifunction button sets as these are the communicating part.

My guess is that the current button set is somehow incompatible with the gateway because the E221_MFL... was not seen/registered as gateway's submodule. So possibly the gateway somehow "senses" the existence of something - the foreign button set?
Ok, I’ll try to find the button part numbers…
Thanks ;-)

Back