Faulty Rear Left speed sensor - Aftermarket?

Steve1978

T6 Guru
Hi

Dash lights are on for ABS and the little skid simble. It appears my hill start assist isnt workig either.

Carista has told me that my rear left wheel speed sensor is Kaput. I have seen quite a few posts on the forum about replacing it so seems fairly straight forward no issues. However... The price of OEM seems to be close to the 100 quid bracket and some aftermarket parts start from the £9 price point. Bosche ones come in at about £30.

So, my question is has anyone fitted aftermarket? what are your thoughts on them? if you replace one side should you replace the other if its a different brand.... should you do them all?

Thanks

Hi

Dash lights are on for ABS and the little skid simble. It appears my hill start assist isnt workig either.

Carista has told me that my rear left wheel speed sensor is Kaput. I have seen quite a few posts on the forum about replacing it so seems fairly straight forward no issues. However... The price of OEM seems to be close to the 100 quid bracket and some aftermarket parts start from the £9 price point. Bosche ones come in at about £30.

So, my question is has anyone fitted aftermarket? what are your thoughts on them? if you replace one side should you replace the other if its a different brand.... should you do them all?

Thanks
I replaced the left rear on mine about a month ago. I ordered one from AutoDoc which was a Hella part, cost was less than £20 inc postage. It was slow in arriving, so I also ordered this one from Amazon which is £10 and next day delivery. Fairly simple to fit, but I'd recommend giving the bolt that holds the sensor in place a dose of PlusGas or other releasing agent. You can knock the sensor out with a punch, once you've removed the bolt and disconnected the plug, if you remove the rubber cap on the back of the hub.

Only replaced the faulty one. With hindsight, I did have a couple of low tyre pressure warnings for that wheel several months previously. That may have been an indication that it was faulty.

Interesting. That one you have linked doesn’t say if it’s left or right hand sided. Are they universal?

I’ve done all of them at some stage or another, rears are usually stuck in but not a problem if you take off the rear plastic hub cover, couple of taps with a punch normally sets them free as @Scottish Scrutineer has already mentioned. Front ones for me have always come away without a struggle. I’ve always bought Bosch ones to replace just because the local euro parts have always had them in stock. They are handed though

I’d try and get a brand you’ve heard of. I fitted an ECP supplied one on the right/rear and its been fine. Original failed a couple of days before our hols so had to take what was in stock. Its been fine.

Pretty sure it’s just left or right you’re buying, same fit on front or rear. I remember now why only the Bosch ones were in stock lol more than double the price:eek:

Yeah the Bosch ones are also available. The ones on autos are starting at like 9 quid! Don’t want to be replacing them every 2 weeks though!

So just looked on ECP and they are out of stock so I’ve gone cheap with the bilsteins precise 23824 rear and front left is what it says. 11 quid and in stock on eBay. At that price it’s worth a punt

Last edited:
Pretty sure it’s just left or right you’re buying, same fit on front or rear. I remember now why only the Bosch ones were in stock lol more than double the price:eek:
Some of them included the short wiring loom from the sensor. They were almost double the price. I replaced the sensor only.
I’m a Scot of Yorkshire descent

Back