First time camper conversion 2024

Amber

I've posted a few times before and read a huge amount of helpful stuff on here - thank you all!

I thought it might be worth me setting up a thread for my build because I keep forgetting what I've posted or not. I'm converting a 2017 sub T6 - my first time and I'm trying to do much of the work myself.

First job was getting the pop top installed by Westdubs in January - I went to their warehouse near Malvern and they were absolutely brilliant, so helpful and threw in extra little things for free, even carpeting a spare bit of wood for me and was a really reasonable price. So thanks guys - strongly recommend.

Other stuff I have done already:

Bulkhead
strip ply and floor
cut out the windows with angle grinder and jigsaw - installed Kiravans windows. Made quite a lot of mistakes here including not protecting them from swarf which has marred the rear windows a bit, and I'm still dealing with a tiny leak in one. - using gorilla pour and seal to fix hopefully!
Fitted a MS Craft Swivel seat
Sound deaden and insulate the walls.
Carpet line around the pop top.
carpet wheel arches etc.

Having trouble pinning down an rnr bed supplier - after one of them went silent on me (still owes me £347 and I am having to raise a dispute with PayPal )

Today I fitted my floor. Measuring the batons and cutting them took a looooong time. Here's my paper plan in case it helps anyone.
I used 9mm ply for batons and for the floor. I cut the floor with a jigsaw in two pieces - its alright.

Stuck the batons down with sikaflex.

10 sheets of Dodo hex in the gaps.
I had a couple of sheets of insulation left over so I spent a ridiculously long time cutting into thin strips and filling the gaps in lots of the ridges which I'm sure will have very little effect, but waste not want not.

Stuck the ply floor down on top of that. Sikaflex and no more nails when I ran out.

Then I remembered that I was going to wait until the vinyl arrived so I could use the floor as a template....whoops.

IMG_5843.jpeg

IMG_5859.jpegIMG_5860.jpegIMG_5862.jpegIMG_5863.jpegIMG_5864.jpeg

Done loads of work on the van these last two weekends.

I have installed a vinyl floor. I like the way it looks, but I'm worried it's not going to be very durable, and I have already manage to cut the surface by dropping the bed board on it. Hey ho. At least the mark should be covered by the seat.

I've also been wood panelling the sides and ceiling, which has been an almightly faff, but I do feel I've turned a corner. I was trying very hard to follow the curves and not to lose interior space, so I mostly went for gluing it down, with some screws to batons hidden inside the cavity. I managed not to add any new screws to the metal work.

I drove to Sheffield yesterday to JDS Metaltech to get my rnr bed installed. Excellent job! I will post pictures very soon.

IMG_5728.JPGIMG_5730.JPGIMG_5918.jpegIMG_5914.jpegIMG_5930.jpeg

Now THAT'S cool! I like the timber lining with the carpet!

Very, very smart
aw thanks. I couldn't think how else to do it. I'm not that keen on the carpet look, but I have to say when I finished off all the little bits so you don't see the metal I think it does look all right.

Though I've realised colour-wise the floor doesn't go with the carpet :rolleyes:
Planning to paint the tongue and groove when I get around to it. so maybe I can find a transitional colour?

Reactions: CAB
Planning to paint the tongue and groove when I get around to it. so maybe I can find a transitional colour?
Consider just giving it either a good wood oil or varnish and make the most of the interesting detail the wood gives?

If not I'd recommend a really light colour.

Both of those work well on narrowboat fit outs I've seen (where the wood lining is the "go to" approach)

I've used Deks Olje before in a marine environment - but that might be more suited to hardwoods.

The advantage of a good wood oil is it doesn't form a surface, it just soaks into the wood and stops anything else getting in. It means you can always top it up over time whereas a varnish or a paint would need stripping off.

However it does mean it's a one way street - once you've used oil it's unlikely a paint or varnish will work.

Try some finishes out on some offcuts first and see what you like - a quick simulation of wood oil can be done with some clean cooking oil.

Back