Fixed tow bar and parking sensors

t0mb0

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’m looking at getting a tow bar fitted. The first decision is between fixed (flange plate fit) and removable swan neck design.

Has anyone with rear parking sensors fitted a fixed one? Does a fixed one mess up the sensors?

I’m looking at getting a tow bar fitted. The first decision is between fixed (flange plate fit) and removable swan neck design.

Has anyone with rear parking sensors fitted a fixed one? Does a fixed one mess up the sensors?
Yep, got a fixed. Sometimes triggers a sensor, most times doesn't. Taking off the ball cap helps !

Yep, got a fixed. Sometimes triggers a sensor, most times doesn't. Taking off the ball cap helps !

Haha, I see. Sounds like it’s pretty marginal and might depend on the exact shape of the towbar. We’d probably be after a Tow Trust one if anyone has one of those?

Although not a factory fit, mine was fitted by a towbar fitter that VWVC Leeds use to fit aftermarket ones to customers vans. The fitter said that the one they use, a fixed Swan, was the best in order to minimise sensor activations. Of the four rear sensors, it only occasionally triggers one. You get used to it and can have confidence there is nothing there as shown by the other 3 being good.....ie screen display

Although not a factory fit, mine was fitted by a towbar fitter that VWVC Leeds use to fit aftermarket ones to customers vans. The fitter said that the one they use, a fixed Swan, was the best in order to minimise sensor activations. Of the four rear sensors, it only occasionally triggers one. You get used to it and can have confidence there is nothing there as shown by the other 3 being good.....ie screen display

That’s good info, I expect a fixed swan is less likely to trigger than a flange plate one as it’s narrower.

I have an old plastic protective cover over my ball o_O which juts out quite a bit but that doesn't trigger anything.

Detachable one - but thought id add to the show.

normally doesn't pick it up,

has done on a few occasions. . . . might try taking the cover off.?

1655929863084.png

Mines got a factory/Westfalia removable which I leave on all the time TBH.

It’s never falsely triggered the PDC.

I had a fixed one for a couple of weeks and it was fine with the sensors. I think it was a PF Jones one.

I have a fixed tow bar & sensors which have been fitted for over a year now. I have not experienced any issues
Thanks Dave

Cool, thanks, I think that’s probably the one we’d go for.
@t0mb0 I have similar and went for a £5 black plate that bolts on to rear behind towball which I spied when I was in the towbar place. Guessed it would provide some protection to bumper as caravan has habit of moving forward when unhooking. I have a removable thule on xtrail but it is never removed so guessed fixed was way to go on van!

Those that have fitted a tow bar have you gone for the universal bypass wiring or the more expensive VW specific wiring? If i go universal will it mess up my vans electrics?

Those that have fitted a tow bar have you gone for the universal bypass wiring or the more expensive VW specific wiring? If i go universal will it mess up my vans electrics?
A bypass won’t mess up the vans electrics but you will be missing out on a few features.

When a trailer is connected, all the bulbs are monitored, the rear fog lights are turned off on the van in favour of the trailer, the vans stability control and braking are altered, the reverse sensors are turned off, the vans alarm will sound if the trailer is disconnected when armed. There may be more I’ve not thought of.

A bypass won’t mess up the vans electrics but you will be missing out on a few features.

When a trailer is connected, all the bulbs are monitored, the rear fog lights are turned off on the van in favour of the trailer, the vans stability control and braking are altered, the reverse sensors are turned off, the vans alarm will sound if the trailer is disconnected when armed. There may be more I’ve not thought of.
Ahh. Sounds like it might be worth paying the extra then. Although I only want it for attaching a bike carrier.

Back