France in September

Steved55

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all - considering a couple of weeks away in Sept - I prefer lakes/ rivers to the coast for swimming and paddle boarding - any advice/ bad experiences with mossies at this time of year please? I tend to get eaten alive if they're about!

If you head down south would recommend Lac D'Hourtin on the Atlantic side,there is a resort for schools that is deserted in september so can wild camp next to the lake,only a couple of miles from the surfing beach of Carcans as well.On the Med side we had a lovely few days at Lac Du Salagou near Montpelier,no camping overnight directly next to the lake but aires and campsites scattered around it,both remarkable mozzie free when we stayed a few years back

Well I found more mozzies in Dorset in the last couple of days than I’ve seen in France. There are many free aires around lakes in France and September is by far the best time to visit in my opinion, just keep gradually going south if it’s a long trip, heading north always feels wrong IMO.

If you head down south would recommend Lac D'Hourtin on the Atlantic side,there is a resort for schools that is deserted in september so can wild camp next to the lake,only a couple of miles from the surfing beach of Carcans as well.On the Med side we had a lovely few days at Lac Du Salagou near Montpelier,no camping overnight directly next to the lake but aires and campsites scattered around it,both remarkable mozzie free when we stayed a few years back
+1 for recommending Hourtin. We went in July and perfect for paddle boarding. Whilst we stated at a campsite, certainly looked like plenty of opportunity to wild camp.

Hi all - considering a couple of weeks away in Sept - I prefer lakes/ rivers to the coast for swimming and paddle boarding - any advice/ bad experiences with mossies at this time of year please? I tend to get eaten alive if they're about!
Annecy is great…hopefully quieter in Sep

Ardeche - Vallon-Pont-D’Arc…kayak,swim,paddle board

Back