From Ford to New Transporter 6.1 owner - any advice

Hi all

New to the T6 forum so evening all… nice to meet everyone

I am due to pick up my new 6.1 Sportline BE next week, coming from a transit MSRT for the last 5 years I have to say it’s been and still is a fantastic van,

I was wondering if any 6.1 owners have recently made a purchase within the last 6 months or so and how have you found them?

Any issues or problems ? How has it been living with and would you recommend?

Pic of mine being collected next week
1725829522364.jpeg

Oh, you'll like your new drive.
There is a hidden windscreen heater button (steering wheel hides it) on your left.
Make sure you you complete the DPF regens.
Don't do too many short journeys.
Get some Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades - makes driving in the rain a pleasure.
Enjoy.

Oh, you'll like your new drive.
There is a hidden windscreen heater button (steering wheel hides it) on your left.
Make sure you you complete the DPF regens.
Don't do too many short journeys.
Get some Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades - makes driving in the rain a pleasure.
Enjoy.
Thanks mate, looking forward to it

Yes I am way to used to this, surely the sportline are better than msrt quality
Having compared my SiL's late Transit custom side by side with my 6.1 I can state with certainty that the obvious stuff like paint finish, panel fit, gaps around the dash plastics, etc, are better on the VW, as are off the shelf compoents such as electrical connectors, clips, and the like.

Simple things such as the rigidity of the side of panels is better on the VW, although I don't know if thats down to the type of steel, thickness, panel design or all three. Certaily VW made an effort somewhere with that where Ford never bothered.You can see where the money went, or at least some of it.

Whether any of that contributes to a more reliable or longer lived product is open to question. A less flexible side panel or a dash with tighter tolerances around the various components might give a nice experience but won't help the vehicle live a single extra day. In that sense the Ford might be the better 'product' be made it's just enough to do the job and no more, and the price reflects that.

Last edited:
Having compared my SiL's late Transit custom side by side with my 6.1 I can state with certainty that the obvious stuff like paint finish, panel fit, gaps around the dash plastics, etc, are better on the VW, as are off the shelf compoents such as electrical connectors, clips, and the like.

Simple things such as the rigidity of the side of panels is better on the VW, although I don't know if thats down to the type of steel, thickness, panel design or all three. Certaily VW made an effort somewhere with that where Ford never bothered.You can see where the money went, or at least some of it.

Whether any of that contributes to a more reliable or longer lived product is open to question. A less flexible side panel or a dash with tighter tolerances around the various components might give a nice experience but won't help the vehicle live a single extra day. In that sense the Ford might be the better 'product' be made it's just enough to do the job and no more, and the price reflects that.
Funny enough I’ve just come back from a converter’s enquiring about some work and they pop top transporters and customs and states the difference in the material thickness between the 2 is night and day apparently the ford is like paper thin

surely the sportline are better than msrt quality
Isn't the Sportline built by MS-RT?

Thought VW & Ford threw their vehicles at them and then turned out as Transporter Sportline and Transit MS-RT

Perhaps I'm up the creek on that!

Reactions: CAB
Funny enough I’ve just come back from a converter’s enquiring about some work and they pop top transporters and customs and states the difference in the material thickness between the 2 is night and day apparently the ford is like paper thin
That would explain my observations.

Back