Front speaker vibration

Kirkhamma

VIP Member
I’ve recently put Focal speakers and tweeters in the front of my 6.1.

I’m getting a lot of vibration when I play music with strong base. When I take the door cards off the vibration stops so it’s not the mounting.

The door has been sound deadened.

I can’t see anything loose, I’ve checked and there’s nothing I can see causing it.

Anyone had anything similar or know of a fix?

What was your sound deadening process, how much did you use and what panels did you deaden

The whole door skin is backed in the heavy foil backed stuff.

No vibration at all when the door card is off.

a lot of people also fit deadening to the back of the plastic door card too, sounds like culprit if it stops when you take it off.

Hi. Did you get to the bottom of the door card vibrating? I’ve got the same issue after fitting the plug n play focal speakers on both sides even though I sound deadened the outer door, the plastic inner one and silent coated the actual door card?
Never had this issue on my T6

I find it's anything hard plastic in the door bins that is actually the source of the vibrations. Like if you have the black storage bin in the door that rattles and vibrates. Mine is all fully sound deadened inside and out. Make sure you have fitted water guards to the speakers. Mine weren't and the doors been filling up in all this lovely weather.

I’ve got nothing in the door pockets.
I think I know why…. Could be wrong but it looks like the plastic needs trimming off the inside of the door card shown in picture.
Shown on the link
I’ll take the cards back off tomorrow and see

IMG_0332.jpeg

If it's a T6.1 have you tried trimming the lip around the back of the grill on the door card that's been known to interfere on some speakers. Sound deadening mat alone isnt enough to stop the doors vibration that's why we do multiple layers and use different products as they all have different qualities

Hi. I’ve not trimmed it off but I will do tomorrow. How can I waterproof the speakers? I assume the water gets in behind the speaker?
Could i put a bit of waterproof membrane behind the speaker or best to order up the special rings?

We sell waterguardz they're on the website buddy

Hi. Did you get to the bottom of the door card vibrating? I’ve got the same issue after fitting the plug n play focal speakers on both sides even though I sound deadened the outer door, the plastic inner one and silent coated the actual door card?
Never had this issue on my T6
No I never did, the vibration is still very bad. I just can’t work out how, there’s so much sound deadening and packing, nothing can move.

Door cards are empty, it’s very annoying. I’ve started driving without music

No I never did, the vibration is still very bad. I just can’t work out how, there’s so much sound deadening and packing, nothing can move.

Door cards are empty, it’s very annoying. I’ve started driving without music
Hi All.
Came across this thread when searching this exact issue so thought I’d reply.

In advance I’m sorry for long post but wanted to include details to help others. The above posts did not seem to resolve issue when I searched, but think I’ve fixed it

In short I’ve just started fitting the Focus plug and play speaker upgrade in my T6.1 as supplied from the awesome guys at Absolut5 Audio.

I’ve experienced the vibrations on the door cards too but I tracked it down relatively quickly.

I’ve applied the usual sound deadening (dodo) sheet and acoustic foam to the door cards, inner and outer and the crash bar and outer door skin. See photos

Tried before I fitted cabin door card. All good. But tried after fitting the cabin door card and horrible vibration with a ‘bass healthy track’. Also an annoying buzzing ( lesser vibration).

1. Main culprit was the window motor. On the T6.1 it fits on the ‘cabin side’ of the inner door card. But, with the foam and sound mats, it was enough to push the motor head onto the plastic card. I removed the motor assembly (3 screws and 20 seconds work) and put deadening mat and acoustic foam behind the motor where it might touch. Also applied mat to the area and the motor head itself. ( see photos). When discussing the above, Interestingly a mate of mine who is a very very experienced VW tech said “ oh…on the Golf’s, VW used to put a foam washer/ring behind the motor gear where it touches the card to stop the vibrations. After the Mk 4, to save money they stopped. If I were you I’d try that as well’. Which I duly did by cutting a length of acoustic foam and sticking it to the card around the aperture for the motor to regulator gear interface. (See photo).

The above completely eradicated the appalling vibration/resonance with the bass.

For the buzzing: ( basically annoying lighter frequency resonance):

2: I also (upon advice of this thread) trimmed down the door card speaker ring with a Stanley knife. ( where the OEM foam ring sits).

3 On the outer card, if you look it is made of two parts which is plastic welded together. On the bottom where the two 1/4 turn nuts go, the outer and inner card is not ‘mechanically bonded). This caused the two bits to vibrate and buzz. To remedy, I drilled and bolted these together and applied some glue. (See photo).

4 I also applied foam between the legs that hold the trim clips, and the outer surface of the card (see photo). Some legs are fully bonded at build but some are separate and NOT bonded to the outer skin so can vibrate.

Not sure if number 4 above made too much difference but my view was if it can touch and vibrate it will cause noise/resonance.

However number 1 and 3 are the main culprits. (At least in my case).

Now if I play something like ‘Bob Marley - Exodus’ at a ‘healthy volume’ all is well. As I say, hopefully this will help someone if they do a search.

Cheers.

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_0306.jpeg

IMG_0333.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

IMG_0326.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0317.jpeg

Back