Full size roof rack options

TallPaul_S

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Has anyone had a full size roof rack fitted and care to give some opinions?

There's a couple of options that I can find, without spending a small fortune:

Flat Dog UK rack - £870 Inc fitting

Front Runner slim sport - £1295

The regular front runner (similar to the flat dog rack) is £1750 and too much money.

Flat dog seems to have decent reviews (aside from a few bad ones, mainly around communication) and they do a lot of 4x4 stuff.

I'd be using it to mount a solar panel, and additional storage of long or bigger items, spare wheel, extra bike, etc etc - they both have t track mounting channels so the world is literally your oyster when it comes to fitting stuff to them!

Last edited:
Having had a similar looking version in a truck at work (not Transporter), it might be worth understanding any additional wind noise as the one we got was way too loud on the motorway and ruined the driving experience IMO. Granted the more expensive version has the wind directional part so should help)

Having had a similar looking version in a truck at work (not Transporter), it might be worth understanding any additional wind noise as the one we got was way too loud on the motorway and ruined the driving experience IMO. Granted the more expensive version has the wind directional part so should help)
Yeah I'm ok with a slight bit of wind noise, I do have an awning currently fitted and really don't notice it at all.

It's hard to know without actually driving one with it installed though!

The frontrunner is lower profile and with the air deflector so should be better.

Last edited:
Looking at this video, the flat dog racks look really well made, they're a fully welded design (apart from the mounting feet) rather than the bolt together that the front runner rack is. Less chance of things working loose.

I fitted the slim sport today to my swb T6. I haven't been at motorway speeds but I didn't notice it at 40-50 earlier.
I stuck a slim light bar on top too.
I figured a semiflex solar panel behind the light bar wouldn't be bothered by the wind at all. Plus, I won't have to cover my roof in Sikaflex.
It's all quite sleek compared to my old hilux!
I'm unsure about the carrying capacity, so I've emailed them. I understand it's 150kg for the roof, but the bars really flex, so spreading weight is a thing.
I've a ladder on the back for access.

20240824_190941-EDIT.jpg

Nice!!

I went for the Flat Dog Rax in the end and I'm very very happy with my choice!

If there is any wind noise, I can barely notice it. An LED light bar is definitely on the list, the factory LED's are awesome but if you can have more light, then why not! :rofl:

I've got a 305w rigid panel attached to mine, plus a Fiamma F40 awning, and some lashing eyes for a bag which will have my chair and table, windscreen cover etc in it.

I did think about a rigid box but my chair and table are too big to fit into a low profile one.

PXL_20240802_175648805.jpg
PXL_20240806_180259193.jpg
PXL_20240823_164859535.jpg
PXL_20240801_170940833.jpg
PXL_20240801_170950238.jpg

It looks good and solid. And I like the slots/rails for the mounts. The advert says something about a "fitted wind deflector" but I don't see it...
I like that they'll fit the Flat Dog for you if you want. My one was a challenge to get all the mounting screws in - needing a mate to push and bend it a little.
A little more research and I might have got the Flat Dog myself!

My van is my daily, though, so low profile as possible (fuel economy) was the aim of the game

The wind deflector is this bit at the front on the underside, you can just see it in this pic
1724534180649.png

I think the biggest difference between the flat dog rack and the front runner is the flat dog main rack frame is fully welded rather than bolted together. That's why they offer free fitting! It took them less than 40 minutes to fit mine, they're probably done hundreds! It's made in the UK too at their HQ in lincolnshire.

I've not done a proper long drive yet with the new wheels and rack on, I used to get 43-44mpg on a long cruise sitting at 65/67mph so hopefully I won't be too far down on that.

Ah, interesting fairing. You could probably fit a slim light bar right on the front of your rack too.

I can hit 50mpg, being careful on long drives with my slightly chunky tyres, so it'll be interesting to see the difference with mine.

I know a big roofbox took away about 5 mpg from my Octavia. (best car I ever had)

I'm really not worried about my rack jiggling apart. But I'm sure your rack is stronger.

If it works for your needs then you have the right rack!

There was an orange T6 on their facebook page actually, with a rack and light bar - I thought it was yours for a moment!
442502495_17981685107680232_1508117111530304736_n.jpg
442486566_17981685125680232_2521304692959196775_n.jpg

Nice van. And there's the light bar on the front :)

Ironically, it takes a hell of a lot of work to fix up an old RAC van.
Of course they service them at main dealers, but the amount of screws and bolts missing and holes and random wires was shocking.
Completely reflective of their recovery service, I suppose!

Nice!!

I went for the Flat Dog Rax in the end and I'm very very happy with my choice!

If there is any wind noise, I can barely notice it. An LED light bar is definitely on the list, the factory LED's are awesome but if you can have more light, then why not! :rofl:

I've got a 305w rigid panel attached to mine, plus a Fiamma F40 awning, and some lashing eyes for a bag which will have my chair and table, windscreen cover etc in it.

I did think about a rigid box but my chair and table are too big to fit into a low profile one.

View attachment 256481
View attachment 256482
View attachment 256483
View attachment 256484
View attachment 256485
How does the fiamma fit to the rack?
Looks great this and what I’m after for my T5.1

How does the fiamma fit to the rack?
Looks great this and what I’m after for my T5.1
I used the std mounts for the T6 - but one of them is slightly angled to fit the curved T6 roof so I had to space it out slightly to fit properly. Other than that I just used square nuts in the track on the rack and stainless bolts and spring washers.

This is what Front Runner had to say when I asked for a load rating:

"We do not have a specific load rating. However, the Front Runner Slimsport can hold far greater weight than what the vehicle manufacturer might deem safe to travel with. We recommend referring to the vehicle manufacturer guide as to what would be a safe load rating for your particular vehicle. If the manufacturer has stated that the load rating of your roof is 150kg, please stay by 150kg."

I mean.... it kinda sounds like they're making it up as they go along with this vague answer.
There's no way one of the aluminium slats could hold a lot of weight. I'm only 70kg and it didn't feel right standing on one in the middle.

However, it's a useful email to keep in case anything breaks!

Luckily, I have a spare cross-member/slat thing, as I had to remove one for the air extractor.

It's a really nice light and comfy ladder.
The rack acts as the top rung as it's smooth at the top of the ladder

Back