Gastore underslung tank high pressure leak after tank solenoid

T6 Syd

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, as per the title, I have a serious gas leak from my underslung Gastore tank between the tank connection and the regulator only when the solenoid is switched on. I can't see exactly where it is from, as it is within the plastic 'turret' that covers the high pressure feed connection and the solenoid outlet. See the attached photos of the turret. A long shot, but does anyone have a photograph or schematic showing the connections into the tank, ie within the turret? I think it is oner piece that bolts onto the tank.

Gastore are looking for someone who can take a look at it near me (just north of Leeds). A big problem I may have is that the tank is not far off full. Where the leak is I cannot run off the gas through a cooker etc without more gas leaking out under the van. I don't see any alternative to empty it, if needed, other than switching it on and driving to quickly dilute the gas leaking out. I have no idea how long it will take to run out though, it could be a long drive along the M1 or A1!

If anyone has any info or knows of a Gastore installer or service company near Leeds I' very much appreciate it.

Thanks.IMG_5278.jpgIMG_5277.jpg

If I've understood this correctly, the leak is on the outlet side of the solenoid. So if the solenoid is "OFF" no leak? If so, why do you need to drain the tank? Do you need to remove/change the solenoid? or is it just a connection that needs tightening or sealing?

Yes, correct, no leak when the solenoid is off. It is safe switched off. Problem is I can’t see the connections let alone the joints to see where the problem is. It is not any of the joints outside the ‘turret’.

I’m not sure the turret cover can be removed in situ as it is up against a chassis member. Concerned a service company won’t drop the tank if full, if that is necessary. Also, if it is a cracked valve body the the tank will need to be empty to change that.

I’ll try getting the back end lifted higher to get better access and see if I can get a better view of where it is leaking.

I’ll be very happy if it is just the outlet joint on the valve!

Thanks

I'd ask the service company what they need to do - they must do similar work a lot of the time.

Rather than wasting all the gas and venting that much doesn't sound particularly safe mixing flammable gas and air...

Concerned a service company won’t drop the tank if full, if that is necessary. Also, if it is a cracked valve body the the tank will need to be empty to change that.
Ask them.

Yes, will do, no company identified yet though. Gastore got back to me quickly about the fault, confirming it needs investigating of course, but seem to be struggling to find an agent near me. I’d prefer someone who has gastore experience and hopefully spares on hand. Gastore are Portsmouth area I think, a long drive but it may be the safest option to get it fixed in one go.

The van is also my (self employed) transport.

UPDATE.

Dropped the tank today to get better access. Found that it is actually a failed regulator venting toward and into the valve turret. Easier job to fix and no need to empty the tank. I'd rather not have there problem at all but willing to take this as a win :)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Back