Glove Box can be locked or unlocked with anything that fits in the slot.

ManInTheJar

Hi.

I've got a Transporter 6.1 campervan conversion and I'm confused about the glove box locking. It has a slot into which I can insert the ignition key to lock it, but it seems that anything at all - screwdriver, lollystick, etc., - can be used to lock or unlock it. Is this a fault or a feature?

Thanks in advance for any help.

it does have a lock that has "pins" in it however when changing mine from grey to black they all fell out lol. Seeing as it is so small I dont see that there is much space in there to store anything meaningful and to be honest if a thief finds a locked glovebox he is going to break it open. May as well find somewhere under the bonnet like near the battery to store something "safe"

Thanks, archersam. I wasn't looking to put valuables in it cos it's obviously not really secure, but it would be nice to be able to lock it properly just to deter the curious. I just wondered whether it's supposed to work like that or whether I should be going back to get it fixed since the van's still under warranty.

If someone is going to take the trouble to break into the van, what do you think they might think if there is a locked flimsy glovebox? - Bearing in mind that some damage will already have occurred to the van

Hi Whodat. I understand all that, but that's not my question. All I want to know is whether the glovebox should lock or not. If it should, and mine doesn't, then I've got a time to get it fixed under warranty.

Never lock ours as we don´t keep anything of value in it. Its so small anyway!!!!!

Yes I have tried it, but not with any other item. Will give it a go tomrrow and get back to you.

Not sure if this really helps at all but my T6 needs correct key. However, T6.1 is different in many ways - so hopefully someone with t6.1 will chime in @Pauly @Skyliner33
Just been out to test this, my 6.1 needs the correct key to lock/unlock the glove box. Must admit its the first time I ever used that lock.

However when I started the van up I did notice it sounds like there is a bird chirping away under the bonnet. Never noticed that before. Maybe need to get it checked out :(

Will just home from run out in camper. Mine is a T6 and it needs correct key (tried loads of keys) must be a T6.1 thing.

Reactions: mmi
Just been out to test this, my 6.1 needs the correct key to lock/unlock the glove box. Must admit its the first time I ever used that lock.

However when I started the van up I did notice it sounds like there is a bird chirping away under the bonnet. Never noticed that before. Maybe need to get it checked out :(
Step 1: locate bird. Step 2: remove bird.

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
Bit late I know but my son’s here now and I’ve just tried his vw polo key and it won’t unlock my glovebox (2021 T6.1)

Back