Goodyear Vector 4 season cargo tyres cracking

Nande2000

IT Fixer
T6 Pro
Just jet washing the van this morning and noticed a slight crack on one of the front tyres (see photo).
Checked the other tyres and all have evidence of the same happening in the same place on the tyre.
Is this a known problem with Goodyears ?
They’ve only done 16 k miles, fitted by the dealer in March’21. Loads of tread left on the rears, just under 4mm in front. Pressures all fine

Tyres are 4.5 years old.

IMG_4548.jpeg

I’ve emailed Goodyear, but they are coming off pronto. I had a mate take a look and he agreed with me. They look like how old tyres degrade according to him

We had the same problem with Nankang tyres, we didn't even get 7K miles. Religiously maintained pressures and the tracking was fine. Spoke to a tyre fitter when we had them replaced and he stated he had seen many similar issues.
UV and lack of use tend to contribute to cracking tyres, however, the replacements seem to be fine. Hope you get a satisfactory outcome.

9k in and just under two years on my avons, completely cracked. Shocking. All 4 gone. Centres warn out on fronts too even though running the factory pressures. 255/45/18 @44psi

20231209_125215.jpg

They’ve only done 16 k miles, fitted by the dealer in March’21. Loads of tread left on the rears, just under 4mm in front. Pressures all fine

Tyres are 4.5 years old.

I'm trying to work out how they were fitted in March '21 but are 4.5 years old, are you getting their age from the date code on the tyre?
A dealer shouldn't be fitting tyres that are over a year old, in my opinion.
I guess most tyre manufacturers wouldn't expect a tyre to be on a vehicle for more than a couple of years due to wear and tear, still frustrating when there's plenty of tread left.

I'm trying to work out how they were fitted in March '21 but are 4.5 years old, are you getting their age from the date code on the tyre?
A dealer shouldn't be fitting tyres that are over a year old, in my opinion.
I guess most tyre manufacturers wouldn't expect a tyre to be on a vehicle for more than a couple of years due to wear and tear, still frustrating when there's plenty of tread left.
Yeah from the date code on the tyre

So actually those tyres were around 2 years old when fitted, that's not fair on you as a buyer.
I could try and get some discounted tyres out of the dealer I suppose.

I bought the van new as a factory order in 21 and as tyres were specd. But the dealer forgot to tick the box so they had to get them fitted. But given the time of year and I need to do a long journey on dec 29th I’m probably wasting my time.

I need to check the spare tomorrow

Just looking at what tyres to go for.
Michelin Agilis the obvious choice, £160 a corner.
Ats have an offer on Yokohama ry61s £120 a corner; looks like a good chunky tyre

In

Good year just rang me.
The tyres are safe apparently. This is something called chimneying where the earthing mechanism of the tyre is bubbling up.

Reactions: CJW
I have the vector 4 as winter tyres and not seen any cracking but I know Michelin tyres suffer terribly bad for cracking and they even have a section on their website for it as it's cosmetic and not a safety issue so sounds just the same.

Im booked in on Thursday to get all the tyres replaced. There is no way this is 'just cosmetic'

I also rang the VW dealer who supplied them (they chose the make and model, not me). Wrexham VW van centre; they refused to help with the Warranty process, even though they supplied them; wouldnt even look at the tyres. Absolutely shocking.

Just jet washing the van this morning and noticed a slight crack on one of the front tyres (see photo).
Checked the other tyres and all have evidence of the same happening in the same place on the tyre.
Is this a known problem with Goodyears ?

Tyres are 4.5 years old.

View attachment 222730
The faint line is nothing too worry about all tyres have a strip of natural rubber in the tread to allow static electric to dissipate

I had a similar problem with Bridgestones. I spoke to Bridgestone and sent them some photos they said they were save to use but I was not happy so replaced them. They were 4 years old at the time I changed them.

Back