Greetings to all

Tmx1835

I am on the journey to find a SWB T6.1 and convert to a camper for me and the wife.

Seen a few companies and their conversions now and are starting to make our minds up about what we want and who we're going to ask to do the work.

Few things still puzzling me.

1. insurance - sounds like i need modified van insurance - i saw recommendations in the Insurance area - but how does this work if i keep my current car whilst we do the conversion and no claims ?

2. styling - was contemplating getting the donor van styled by LV with new susp, wheels, tyres, splitter, spoiler - should i do this before or after the conversion ?

3. mpg - just what sort of mpg am i looking at for a 200hp highline driven "sensibly"

Looking forward to getting out of our tent and into a van !

All the best

T.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Insurance can be difficult or easy depending on the work you've had done but also who has done it. We're an approved converter with Safeguard and A-Plan meaning if you mention AJC have converted your van they're happy with the quality of work being carried out and the process is smooth and simple. On the other hand i've had customers tell me of their experience which has been difficult needing habitation checks etc.

Styling shouldn't make too much of a difference when coming to your conversion but for the ease of it i'd always prefer to have these bits done afterwards as without going into too much detail there are certain jobs which become more difficult with aftermarket parts already fitted than they would have been beforehand.

MPG wise i can't help too much as haven't had a 204 model myself, i've always steered clear of the twin turbo models as they're generally more problematic than the high power single turbo vans

Hope this helps and look forward to seeing what van you get :)

Thanks for the details, particularly the bit about the biturbo. I just searched up engine problems with the 204 and was shocked, although it wasnt clear if the newer ones are still affected. I think a rethink to a 150 highline may be in order.

Cheers

T

Reactions: CAB
If you're still using your NCB for your car, you won't be able to simultaneously use it for your van. However, some insurers will offer 'NCB mirroring', which means you get the same discount on your van as the NCB years on your car qualifies you for.

In this scenario, you still need to build-up your van NCB from zero, it's just that, whilst you're doing so, you'll be getting the enhanced NCB discount. This might seem all fine and dandy (and, for some people, it really is), but just be aware that, whilst building-up your van NCB, you'll effectively be tied-in to that van insurer - this is because alternative van insurers won't offer an enhanced NCB discount, making them uncompetitive relative to your current insurer.

The above is *usually* how NCB mirroring works, but as with everything in insurance, some insurers do things subtly differently and apply slightly different rules.

Back