[Guide] Fitting recovery tow eyes

Epic-Rob

Kiwi member
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I couldnt find much on fitting these and what i did is a bit vague Fitting instructions i found so here we go. I fitted these on a 6.1, the kit has the 2 hooks, 2 bolts and large washer and a centring washer. it is actually very easy - hardest thing is drilling holes in the actual bumper.
I bought them from Rellium Design Dirk was pretty helpfull and he does other nice products too.
I did originally buy them along with a snorkel from the Seikel importer in Wales but they got lost with courier and it was a nightmare getting refund from him, had the threaten legal action in end.

Just on a fitting note - Apparently you can fit them without taking the bumper bar off but getting the original screw thread out might be a bit tricky and brutal with a chisel, but you can asses that when you get to that stage

20240622_093536.jpg

So 1st up your dismantling the front and taking the metal bumper bar off, the bumper does support the radiators so i just used a strap to hold them up, when your trying to drop the bumper there is a screw in the bottom of each lower rad mount onto the bumper you need to take out - took me a while to figure that one lol

20240625_130640.jpg
as you will see there is the screw thread for the std tow eye in the left hand side, you have to get this out, i took a recipicating saw and cut it out, not too pretty but did the job.
You will see on the bottom just behind the 2 holes at the front, there is a larger hole, this is where your bolting the eyes.

20240625_131826.jpg
20240625_131636.jpg
slide the eye in and bolt up from the bottom, the centering washer fits into the large hole and then crank it up, i put a bit of thread lock on. so thats pretty much it for fitting the eyes.
you do need to take them out though before putting the bumper bar back on.

20240625_122554.jpg
Now you need to drill a hole in the right side of the bumper bar as there isn't one, i took numerous measurements from the sides of holes around to come up with a center point - which wasn't too bad if i may say so :) i used hole saw and drilled a 32mm hole, but it doesn't matter if its a little bit bigger so you could possibly go 35mm, its better to be slightly bigger just in case your not spot on with your hole.
Now you can refit the bumper bar, bit fiddly getting it all in with the rad etc so easier if you have a mate to help.

20240625_140938.jpg
Thread the eyes back through the bumper bar, this is where you will find out how good your measuring has been, if the hole is too small or out of line the eyes will bind on the silver collars as you screw them in and hence you can then not screw them out easily, you can play around with the bumper mounting bolts as they have a bit of play and also if need be you can grind the flat part of the eye where the bolt goes in to give the a bit of re alignment. but thats why i suggested drilling hole a little larger. i found the original hole too tight so i got a ream in the drill and eased it out a bit.

so now its drilling the hole in the bumper! this is where everyone is going to see it if you fu*k this bit up so be careful!

I refitted the bumper now as you need this in place .

20240626_094437.jpg
Screw the tow eye in, then i decided the best way to get hole in right place was to make a template.

20240626_094519.jpg
I used the same dia hole saw to drill hole in cardboard, then lined it up and taped in place.
Now remove the template and tow eye and put the cover back on, line the template back up - and with a deep breath take the hole saw and cut the hole in the cover.

20240626_094350.jpg
If you did it right it will look like this - give yourself a pat and think out loud 'f*** i am good'

20240626_095046.jpg
reverse template to other side and repeat.
Now hopefully it will look like this :) the eyes are removable and the kit comes with a couple of caps to cover the holes if you choose to take the hooks out, but the caps wont fit in a stepped surface!. i just tightened mine in to leave on - it looks way nicer.
now you just need to go and get stuck so you can test them out.

20240626_115202.jpg

20240626_115202.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
Back