HELP… Warranty Claim - Crank Seal and EGR

Mbaines81

Good evening everyone! I have a T6 2017 with 60k, got a couple of faults that I have picked up, oil leak from crank seal and sign of leak on front EGR pipe. Good news is that the warranty company are agreeing to cover the crank seal and labour. They have however said that any associated parts such as the cambelt will not be replaced with new parts and will be at my cost. This is coupled with the garage advising the water pump should be replaced at the same time. When I purchased the van 10 months ago it had covered 45k and had just had the water pump and cam belt changed. Also warranty company have said that they will not cover the EGR pipe as all pipes and hoses not included. What is everyone’s opinion? Does the water pump need changing, my view is new cam belt should be installed. Do you think all associated parts should be covered? Anyone had EGR pipe replaced in warranty? Thanks

I had 2x crank seals fixed on my old van, but neither included ancillary parts.

One was fixed under 5 year extended warranty and one done again 18 months later as goodwill (because the first leak appeared again within 2 years of the original)

I still had to suck up ancillary parts, I wasn’t prepared to take the risk of using old parts, also the dealer put on record that if they re-used a part and it failed then it would be on me, not them.

In theory all of the timing belt kit and water pump are fine to re-use. The belt must be re-fitted in the same orientation as it came off. The mechanic will consider you crazy for re-using the belt.
In reality it makes sense to renew the belt, IMO the pump will be fine as will the idlers and tensioner. If it’s a keeper long term you might want to replace the whole kit.
What you do need to take into account is how long you will keep the van and how much mileage it will cover in that time.
The other factor that’s often overlooked is how hard you have to work to earn the dosh and where the priorities are.

EGR pipes, read the T&C of the warranty, if they have said no it is probably because it’s not included. I assume it’s a private warranty insurance set up by the dealer.

I know you want warranty to pay, but front EGR pipe is quite cheap and a simple DIY.

Totally reasonable that the warranty doesn't cover the cam belt, water pump and rollers etc. They have nothing to do with the oil leak. If the belt has been contaminated with oil, then it would be worth changing it, but if it's a quality belt in perfect condition, and seeing as it's only done 15K, no point changing it. Belts now have a 133K lifespan.

Belts now have a 133K lifespan.
That is subjective, they are a perishable item. I changed mine recently after 4 yrs and 35k and it had a broken tooth.
If you're van is not under warrantee ( mine's a 65 plate ) the recent change in official advice from VW gives people a false sense of security IMO - I followed advice from an experienced technician.

That is subjective, they are a perishable item. I changed mine recently after 4 yrs and 35k and it had a broken tooth.
If you're van is not under warrantee ( mine's a 65 plate ) the recent change in official advice from VW gives people a false sense of security IMO - I followed advice from an experienced technician.
Official time to change them is 133K, but that doesn't negate regular inspections, and an early change if damage is found. Cam belts never just fail, there will be lots of warning signs way before they break, like you say with yours, a broken tooth, which could have been picked up ages ago if the belt had been inspected.

VW as with most other large engineering businesses with calculate maintenance intervals based on Mean Time Before Failure. VW may well factor in a shorter lifespan on a commercial (fleet) vehicle.
Workshop / garage owners will calculate maintenance intervals on ‘are we fully booked?’. How often are we reading on the Forum about members experiences changing one component after another without eliminating a defect / symptom?

In theory all of the timing belt kit and water pump are fine to re-use. The belt must be re-fitted in the same orientation as it came off. The mechanic will consider you crazy for re-using the belt.
In reality it makes sense to renew the belt, IMO the pump will be fine as will the idlers and tensioner. If it’s a keeper long term you might want to replace the whole kit.
What you do need to take into account is how long you will keep the van and how much mileage it will cover in that time.
The other factor that’s often overlooked is how hard you have to work to earn the dosh and where the priorities are.

EGR pipes, read the T&C of the warranty, if they have said no it is probably because it’s not included. I assume it’s a private warranty insurance set up by the dealer.
Hi yes private warranty, I was going to replace the belt and cover the cost of materials, just seems waste as less that 12 months old. I just wasn’t sure on the water pump and if it would be worth changing. Thanks for your response

Thankfully the rear one looks brand new, I have found the long one at Vee dub for £35. I can change that myself I think.

Excellent advice

Back