Help with suggestions - how to disguise / cover the damage

GruB

Job
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Dear all,

Took the van into the paint shop today. Caught the bus home. Nearly home I get a call - he is not prepared to attempt to paint the bumper as he cannot get the paint match correct.
It will look bad so not going to try. He used his paint scanning machine and then a different one from another firm on the same industrial estate - no joy.

So - what can I do?
The damage is so slight I could just ignore it.
Or can I get a protector to put on both sides to match?
A T6 Forum sticker over it?
Get a rear wrap on the bumper?
I could get a new bumper but that is a waste of money in my opinion.

Finally, I can take it back to where I bought the van and use their paint shop - but that is not easy to get to or get back from.

View attachment 256227

IMG_5842.jpeg

Cant see your picture, so not sure what the issue is. Is it a none standard colour or something that causes painting an issue?

Can’t you ask the original paint shop for the paint code they used or get them to supply the paint to your new shop / just a thought

Dear all,

Took the van into the paint shop today. Caught the bus home. Nearly home I get a call - he is not prepared to attempt to paint the bumper as he cannot get the paint match correct.
It will look bad so not going to try. He used his paint scanning machine and then a different one from another firm on the same industrial estate - no joy.

So - what can I do?
The damage is so slight I could just ignore it.
Or can I get a protector to put on both sides to match?
A T6 Forum sticker over it?
Get a rear wrap on the bumper?
I could get a new bumper but that is a waste of money in my opinion.

Finally, I can take it back to where I bought the van and use their paint shop - but that is not easy to get to or get back from.

View attachment 256227
Your pic doesn’t work

I'd try somewhere else. The spedtrographic kit allows for a pretty much infinite mat h adross the colour spectrum, so id suspect operetor error if he cant mix paint to a colour the human eye car see.

do you have a pic of the damage?

I'd try somewhere else. The spedtrographic kit allows for a pretty much infinite mat h adross the colour spectrum, so id suspect operetor error if he cant mix paint to a colour the human eye car see.

do you have a pic of the damage?
i thought the same thing!

Sorry all. Picture returned.
I bought the van from Bath VW Campers near Frome in Somerset. It would be a pain to go back just from pure logistics.
The Swindon firm used his spectrometer and then asked a neighbouring firm to use their one - neither could replicate the colour. Both machines were different models.
VW Denim Blue as a paint stopped production in 2016.
I’ve bought a sticker that will hopefully cover it.

Oddly enough when I went to get the quote I noticed the paint on the metal is darker than the bumper paint. I had not noticed that previously.

I’m quite surprised a decent paint shop couldn’t match it - would be interested to hear from any experts on here

Sorry all. Picture returned.
I bought the van from Bath VW Campers near Frome in Somerset. It would be a pain to go back just from pure logistics.
The Swindon firm used his spectrometer and then asked a neighbouring firm to use their one - neither could replicate the colour. Both machines were different models.
VW Denim Blue as a paint stopped production in 2016.
I’ve bought a sticker that will hopefully cover it.

Oddly enough when I went to get the quote I noticed the paint on the metal is darker than the bumper paint. I had not noticed that previously.
Genuinely sounds like neither garage “wanted” to do the job as paint is just a combination of other colours and denim blue is readily available:

My reflex silver has this issue too. Our local body shop said it’s due to the way the plastic bumpers heat in the sun vs the metal - eventually affecting the paint.
So although our highline came with factory painted bumpers they are now, ten years later, a different shade of silver to the rest of the van. Notice it with a lot of cars to be honest so it doesn’t bother me too much.

Back