HiLo / Horizon roof owners: Solar

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Looking for some information about how the solar panels are fitted.

I am interested in how the cables from the solar panel enter the van.
So would like to know do they come through the roof inside or outside of the canvas and how they are routed after that.
Also was the panel fitted by the roof installers as the roof was fitted or was it fitted at a later date?

Photos would be great.

Thanks in advance

Fitted my panels between roof bars. Didn't want to start drilling holes in the roof so only connect the panels to battery when parked using standard solar connectors.

If the base van has barn doors a popular route in is via the grommets filling the punched holes were the tailgate hinges would fit.

You may be able to use that and a curly cord to connect things without drilling any holes as this company does:

Thanks for the replies, but I'm particularly interested in Horizon/HiLo roofs (with tailgates).

Thanks

Not a HiLo roof but not sure why that would make a particular difference. Thought this photo might be useful.
1000021154.png

Cables are routed outside the canvas then through the van roof with cable entry glands similar to this:

1000021156.jpg

When the pop top is down everything is hidden.

Panel was fitted by me (onto vinyl wrap) but cables were pre fitted by the pop top installer to the glands and left coiled up internally. I had to drill the hole in the pop top though.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm particularly interested in Horizon/HiLo roofs (with tailgates).

Thanks
Have you seen @Deaky’s posts on this?

Have you seen @Deaky’s posts on this?
Thanks. Yes I saw that. But I think now Visiontech produce the roof they route the solar differently.

This is our panel, cable is visible as it enters into the roof space (Ie when the roof is up you can see the cable) and then disappears into the van. We had to have the panel replaced last month as it died..

Screenshot 2024-08-29 124546.png

This is our panel, cable is visible as it enters into the roof space (Ie when the roof is up you can see the cable) and then disappears into the van. We had to have the panel replaced last month as it died..

View attachment 257086
Is that panel set back as far as it can, so that the cable entry is as close to the canvas as it can be?

Thanks @dErZ - currently sizing up what size panel I could get for mine now I’ve replaced my Ring (oooh er) with @Lee’s Redarc.

@Jon what size panel are you going for (presuming the roof shape/design is the same on the new VTA roof as it is on the original HiLo, ie: ridged)

Back