How do you shorten the barn door exterior handle locking rod?

james_bt6

Hi, as the title suggests I need some really simple step by step instructions on how to shorten the barn door exterior handle locking rod. I couldn’t open the back doors at all, from the inside or from the outside.

After a lot of head scratching and taking the internal panel off, I managed to get the doors open and working to an extent. The barn doors work as they should do and open from the outside, UNTIL you try the exterior handle when the doors are locked. If you do this it makes the lock malfunction and has to be manually messed around with from the inside with the panel off.

After some research, the reason for this, is the locking rod connected to the external handle is too long and when it plunges into the locking mechanism, it malfunctions. What I’m trying to figure out is, how do you shorten this rod? I need really simple step by step instructions on how to do this as I can’t find anything on Google.

This seems to be an issue linked with having an after market reverse camera fitted to the t6’s as everyone I speak too (including myself) says the issue started happening a couple weeks after having the camera fitted.

Anyone who could give me step by step instructions (pictures/videos even better) I would massively appreciate it. TIA

Is the camera cable interfering with the mechanism? I can't work out why you think the rod needs to be shorter. If this was the case then all barn doors would be affected camera or no camera.

When they fitted the camera, I’m assuming they took the module off the backing plate - when they put it back on, things have slightly become unaligned now making the rod too long. It’s worded perfectly in this post below - I just can’t figure out how you shorten the rod, and no one seems to mention it other than ‘just shorten the rod’

Post in thread 'Barn door locking mechanism replacement'
Barn door locking mechanism replacement

I don’t have a barn door but did work on one a few years back and I seem to remember the ends of the rod are ridged (almost threaded) and go into a plastic fitting, I’m wondering if the rod is either not inserted into the plastic enough or the disassembly and reassembly has loosened the fit enough for the rod to move in the plastic maybe ?

I’m really not sure just trying to suggest some things

The rod is threaded one end which goes into the plastic fitting (shown in the picture from a video I found) so the rods do turn into the fittings - I just can’t figure out how you turn the rods to tighten them (make them shorter).IMG_1956.png

Remove, screw/push the plastic fitting to adjust then refit maybe?

@james_bt6 I’ve replied separately to you but for the benefit of others I just followed the instructions given by @Jenk0 in Rear Barn Door Unlocking Issue.

On the rectangular locking box in the photo above there are I think three connections that can be popped off. The other wire connection on mine but which I can’t see in the above photo can be left attached. You then unscrew the three Torx bolts and the locking box can be moved down far enough to lift the locking rod out of the top. I then wound it in to shorten it by two turns. Refix the locking box and push on the connectors and mine has been fine since.

You may need more or less than my two turns and this may need a bit of trial and error. But for me, so far, it’s been a great fix, thanks to Jenk0.

Martin

@james_bt6 I’ve replied separately to you but for the benefit of others I just followed the instructions given by @Jenk0 in Rear Barn Door Unlocking Issue.

On the rectangular locking box in the photo above there are I think three connections that can be popped off. The other wire connection on mine but which I can’t see in the above photo can be left attached. You then unscrew the three Torx bolts and the locking box can be moved down far enough to lift the locking rod out of the top. I then wound it in to shorten it by two turns. Refix the locking box and push on the connectors and mine has been fine since.

You may need more or less than my two turns and this may need a bit of trial and error. But for me, so far, it’s been a great fix, thanks to Jenk0.

Martin
Can’t thank you enough Martin and Jenk0 - your instructions worked perfectly, I now have working doors that I’m confident in! Hopefully this thread will help people in the future as it seems to be a common issue. Thanks so much once again!

I have found an easier way than removing any bolts
After a little prodding and poking around I managed to fix the fault.
I don’t know if it is the spring that pulls the handle back in place that is worn out of the threaded bar that has slipped but the fix is quite easy.
  1. First of all you need to slide the plastic part up that is holding/covering the threaded bar.
  2. Once this is moved you can pull the threaded bar out (make a note of where it currently is).
  3. Push the threaded bar back in place (I needed some pliers to do this) but raise it slightly higher than where it was sitting previously. You will need to pull the door handle while doing this step to allow the threaded bar to sit further up.
  4. Test the central locking and raise the threaded bar further if required.
View attachment 237742

any boltsIMG_0450.pngIMG_0449.png

Back