How hot is too hot?

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
IMG_1908.jpeg

Big hills and high temps!
Slowed down to take load off and coolant has dropped 10 degrees in this pic!
What is the maximum permissible oil temp as 137 degrees seems damn hot!

Last edited:
Open the windows and put the heater on hot and fan on high, cook your nuts rather than the engine. :geek:

Did that. Not sure about the reported maximum towing capacity. Maybe the thin air and hot oil play their part, but my 199 van has little puff up these mountains!

Stop for lunch with bonnet up?
Water temp dropped to 90 degrees within 5 'mins of downshifting into 3rd and easing back to 30mph and oil temp fell back to 120 degrees quickly.
My understanding of modern oils is that they can cope with super high temps (up to 155 degrees C), but I would never want to see oil temp above 140 degrees.

I don't think anything bad has happened here, but this is the second time over the last week or so where I have seen the van struggle whilst towing. Certainly, the van seemed to lack grunt when above 1200m.

I wonder if this is due to the very high altitude and both times the van has been hot.

I suppose the question is really "should I expect to lose performance at very high altitude?"

I mean the air is thin and the oil is thin too. I just wonder if I'm getting less "bang" than I should or is this normal?

Not sure where you're mountain driving at the moment but here in Northampton it's currently 30C and I'm sweating from the effort of just typing this, regardless of output with only 2 litres of displacement it's a big ask to move a two tonne van plus caravan. :geek:

Not sure where you're mountain driving at the moment but here in Northampton it's currently 30C and I'm sweating from the effort of just typing this, regardless of output with only 2 litres of displacement it's a big ask to move a two tonne van plus caravan. :geek:
I know!
But the power delivery is weird. I can understand it getting g hot and having to be sympathetic, but is lost grunt.... a lot of grunt! Normal grunt is then seemingly restored when oil cools.
Worried I may have compression issue!

Back