How often do you clean your water tank?

aworthy

T6 Pro
Got my new T6.1 camper and I’m loving it.

I just wondered what you all do with regards to keeping the water as fresh as possible?

I was always under the impression the water is just for washing up/brushing teeth/boiling for a brew/cook with. I was told never to drink this water (unless you boiled it first??).

What’s the best way to ensure it remains as fresh as possible? Should we empty out the tank completely and run a dry tank until the day we go camping - then empty it completely when we return home?

Is doing that, along with using some cleaning tables a few times a year safe enough?

We use ours for drinking, washing, cooking etc. wash it out after each trip and after 3 years never had a problem to date.

We use Milton solution or a little bottle called “keep it clean” with is Spanish. We fill tank and leave for 2 hours before drinking, after 2hours water has no taste at all and leave no scum in bottom of kettle. Enjoy.

On the last leg of a homeward journey, I empty the tank - no point carrying around unnecessary weight.

Just prior to the next trip, I fill to half capacity, add Milton cleaning fluid and then go for a short drive to slosh around the tank contents into any nooks and crannies. After waiting a couple of hours, I then empty, fill and re-empty the tank before finally adding just enough water for the first leg of the trip. Throughout the trip, I top-up the water level as necessary, but try to carry around as little water as possible - again, no point carrying around unnecessary weight.

We use the water for everything, including drinking, and never had a problem, though the water can sometimes taste a little odd (but then I think the tap water at home tastes odd too - I prefer bottled).

If we are only going away for 3/4 days we use a little 10lt bottle full of tap water ( no need to carry a full water tank) but if like now touring Ireland we have full water tank as use mostly free park ups.

Reactions: Bav
If we are only going away for 3/4 days we use a little 10lt bottle full of tap water ( no need to carry a full water tank) but if like now touring Ireland we have full water tank as use mostly free park ups.
We usually stay on campsites sites. Whilst, power-wise, we can tour off-grid almost indefinitely, our 28-litre water capacity is the constraining factor for us.

I use Puriclean before the season starts, let it do it's thing, rinse out well.
Only a 13 litre container under the bread bin/sink. All waters are boiled anyway, usually fill the kettle from a nearby water source.
The majority of liquids consumption onboard doesn't contain natural cold water from the tap!
No reported illness so far!

Got my new T6.1 camper and I’m loving it.

I just wondered what you all do with regards to keeping the water as fresh as possible?

I was always under the impression the water is just for washing up/brushing teeth/boiling for a brew/cook with. I was told never to drink this water (unless you boiled it first??).

What’s the best way to ensure it remains as fresh as possible? Should we empty out the tank completely and run a dry tank until the day we go camping - then empty it completely when we return home?

Is doing that, along with using some cleaning tables a few times a year safe enough?
Yeah always empty it every time and top up fresh. Always.
If water sits in a camper water container bugs will grow, and make you really really sick, plus the water will taste of plastic.
Think about it like this, would you put water in a watering can, leave it a few days and then drink it? Especially in the heat?
Think black tail maggots, pupae, mosquito/gnat lave and legionaires disease and many other horrors, as well sealed as you think it is, it aint.

Personally, after a lifetime of camping in vans, I made all my furniture modular so it comes out and I dont have a 'kitchen' as such and im at an age now where going wild and staying where there are no toilets and facilities is just unnecessary effort and I can't be bothered. We just use the site amenities on long trips now. Keeps the van clean.

And this is why I've never had a system that relied on fixed tanks when camping - easy to clean and replace.

We do on the narrowboat and every winter servicing that gets flushed through with the same type of cleaner used in beer cellars which is pretty potent.

Having spent a lot of time tangentially around the brewing industry in my earlier days I'd trust anything that kept the lines clean, the state of some pub cellars is shocking and yet... the beer is good :thumbsup:

And this is why I've never had a system that relied on fixed tanks when camping - easy to clean and replace.

We do on the narrowboat and every winter servicing that gets flushed through with the same type of cleaner used in beer cellars which is pretty potent.

Having spent a lot of time tangentially around the brewing industry in my earlier days I'd trust anything that kept the lines clean, the state of some pub cellars is shocking and yet... the beer is good :thumbsup:
Yes, having a captive water tank certainly make cleaning it out more of a challenge - hence driving the van to slosh the cleaner around!

I spent last winter in Andalusia and the public accessible taps were mainly out of action due to the ongoing drought. I was filling with water at approx’ 10 day intervals (100L) and this generally involved going inland into the mountains. The ambient temp’ during the day was about 20 degC, no problems drinking the stored water without boiling but I wouldn’t be keen on going much longer than 10 days.
I carry water sterilisation tablets in case I feel the water is potentially a problem
This coming winter will be even worse looking at the current reservoir levels.
I don’t mind stumbling along the beach with a bag full of wine but I refuse to do it with water.

Has anybody tried installing a 12v UV water treatment unit? Well proven in the marine industry and there are units marketed for campervans.
More equipment to find space for.

Back