Inlet to consumer unit - cable length

HeyT6

T6 Guru
Just received my 230v kit and received 1.5 metres of 2.5 3 core cable but I want to run the inlet from under the bonnet through the cab and to the consumer unit attached to the back of my units. Obviously 1.5 meters isn’t going to be long enough to do that, which is fine as I can get a longer cable but on the instruction it states that the inlet and consumer unit should be within 1.2 meters of each other. I’ve seen many people have it under the bonnet I assume it’s just a safety precaution?

Your risk is that the cable from the socket to the consumer unit will only be protected by whatever RCD arrangement the campsite has, whereas everything downstream of your CU and it's RCD will be protected by your equipment.

So that run needs to be as short as practical and as inherently safe as possible (not likely to get crushed or abraded and accidentally connect live 240v to van body) so a good idea to run in strong copex like conduit.

I think the common advice is within 2m, I'm not 100% sure which regs that is based on but the important bit is as short as possible, it's not an allowance.

Usually if you have a bonnet hook up you'd place the CU under the bonnet or seat to keep the run minimal, if you are mounting nearer the rear of the van then consider a hook up under the bumper or similar to keep that section short.

I've not seen it done but potentially a way to keep safe with longer runs is to fit an RCD in a 2 module enclosure under the bonnet very close to the hookup. Your wiring is then protected and you can use a more basic CU to break out into MCB protected circuits.

Back