Is the T32 a boneshaker even when well loaded?

wheelnut

Would appreciate some thoughts from T32 owners. I am contemplating downsizing from a coachbuilt 3.5 tonne motorhome to a T32. With high roof, LWB, 150 BHP, DSG. No lowering or anything like that. I'm old. But I am pretty certain that I'll need either an uprated T30 with T32 rear springs, or a T32. Otherwise I just won't get the payload.

So Q1: are T32 rear springs a boneshaker even when well loaded?

Also, my current coachbuilt on a Ducato base has Michelin Camper tyres, which Michelin insist should have 80psi. So that is a bit of a boneshaker too, although not intolerable when loaded. But I know that with Continental tyres for example the pressure can come down a bit to improve the ride without impacting safety. Although not by much when fully loaded at the back.

So Q2: can T32 tyre pressures be adjusted to improve ride, and if so what are your experiences?

Many thanks. Apologies if this has been addressed before.

Change out the standard shocks, I had this done to our T32 bone shaker, by Steve at CRS, fitted Koni active shocks, ours is a heavy 4M campervan, so left the original factory springs in place, drives completely different,no bone, teeth rattling and goes nice round the bends, very stable, one of the best improvements, oh and he also added a cheeky little 25mm lift with spacers.
Tyres are 235/65/17 at 48psi

Don't find my t32 150 DSG LWB camper to be a bone shaker at all. Standard suspension AFAIK.

As per @AdL, I have a T32 150 DSG LWB camper on standard suspension and factory wheels - it's not a boneshaker (at least, no more than you'd expect given the current state of the roads).

I find my T30 standard shocks to be awful. I can't imagine the T32 being better. I'm desperate to fit something better.

I’ve a LWB 4Motion Hillside Birchover Classic based on a 2023 T6.1 Transporter T32 204PS DSG Highline PV with standard factory suspension and wheels. I don’t find the ride particularly harsh and certainly not enough to warrant any spring or shock mods in my view.

IMG_2174.jpeg

It’s designed to carry a 1 ton load, so empty can feel a bit like a bone shaker. Upgrading it with the correct kit, that we have lots of options for, will be the best upgrade you carry out.

2016 LWB 140 T32 Factory suspension
Devonports and 40psi all round (can’t remember the tyres) Skyline roof and plywood/pallett furniture.
Nearly as quiet and smooth as swmbos 2014 Kuga

Thank you all for your responses. I now have confidence that I can get a T32, and if the ride is a bit harsh, know there there are options to tone it down.

I have a Westfalia club joker high top camper based on the T32 Lwb Highline 150 dsg. It rides better than the T28 based VW Californias I have owned before despite the extra height. The factory fit 17in wheels and tyres are okay but I may well consider wider tyres at lower pressure when these are worn but no real reason to change early in my opinion.

Wheels and tyres also have a big impact on ride. Big wheels with ultra low profile tyres make the ride harsh IMHO, though I appreciate you’ve stated you want to keep it standard. T32 OEM wheels are usually 17 inch, either Devonports or GP steels, likely with 60 series tyres which help with the ride.

Re suspension, I think this is a very personal thing and what some people find acceptable is rubbish for someone else.

My two comments on this are firstly, the OEM dampers are built to a price for a commercial vehicle rather than comfort. I have Koni sport active shocks on mine (T30) and the ride is far smoother and nicer than the OEM shocks. They seem to have much better control of the body bouncing up and down on the springs!

Secondly, once you’ve kitted it all out and added weight the ride heights, particularly at the rear, may be uneven. Ideally you want the van sitting level so steering and traction are as best they can be.

I've had a couple T32s and they are definitely more crashy when empty, i found them nuch better when loaded with a bit of weight in the back but upgraded suspension gives you the best of both worlds

Would appreciate some thoughts from T32 owners. I am contemplating downsizing from a coachbuilt 3.5 tonne motorhome to a T32. With high roof, LWB, 150 BHP, DSG. No lowering or anything like that. I'm old. But I am pretty certain that I'll need either an uprated T30 with T32 rear springs, or a T32. Otherwise I just won't get the payload.

So Q1: are T32 rear springs a boneshaker even when well loaded?

Also, my current coachbuilt on a Ducato base has Michelin Camper tyres, which Michelin insist should have 80psi. So that is a bit of a boneshaker too, although not intolerable when loaded. But I know that with Continental tyres for example the pressure can come down a bit to improve the ride without impacting safety. Although not by much when fully loaded at the back.

So Q2: can T32 tyre pressures be adjusted to improve ride, and if so what are your experiences?

Many thanks. Apologies if this has been addressed before.
Just changed my van from a T6 T30 to a new T6.1 T32 LWB 201bhp, it is fully loaded and no the ride is fine, positive over the pot holes. side window leak in badly when cracked open in the rain.

Just changed my van from a T6 T30 to a new T6.1 T32 LWB 201bhp, it is fully loaded and no the ride is fine, positive over the pot holes. side window leak in badly when cracked open in the rain.
To be fair, the side windows leak when not open too. :whistle:

Back