Just Kampers roof rail fitting woes

Mattg

Hi everyone.

I bought some roof rails from Just Kampers so that I can fit a top box to my t6 for an upcoming trip - two kids, two dogs and my lady means we need the space!
The stance thing is I fitted exactly the same rails on an old t5 a few years ago and didn't have any problems at all, so I was expecting it to be easy.
I've been at it for hours and can't manage to get either the front or back Allen bolt to locate. The middle one with the longer bolt is easy, but locating the end two through the plastic spacers provided and into the screw thread on the top of the van seems to be impossible, I just can't get it into the thread?!

Any tips appreciated. I think the slots which you put the bolts through on the ends are on an angle, which doesn't help.

I'd take the middle ones out, if you've tightened them up then it might prevent the ends moving into the right spot? Did you use an allen key like they do in the video to move the mount into position by putting it into the screw hole and wiggling?

Hi everyone.

I bought some roof rails from Just Kampers so that I can fit a top box to my t6 for an upcoming trip - two kids, two dogs and my lady means we need the space!
The stance thing is I fitted exactly the same rails on an old t5 a few years ago and didn't have any problems at all, so I was expecting it to be easy.
I've been at it for hours and can't manage to get either the front or back Allen bolt to locate. The middle one with the longer bolt is easy, but locating the end two through the plastic spacers provided and into the screw thread on the top of the van seems to be impossible, I just can't get it into the thread?!

Any tips appreciated. I think the slots which you put the bolts through on the ends are on an angle, which doesn't help.
Sorry if this seems obvious, but I have to ask, have you tried swapping sides? It's just because you mentioned the angle on the ends.

when I fitted my roofrack I had a couple of bolts that just would not go in.....I was trying for ages and getting properly sulky they just would not line up enough to catch the thread. I didn't know but the threaded nut in the roof moves slightly. I got a small pick and centred them and the bolts went in straight away........might be worth trying this in case that's the same issue for you :thumbsdown:

Thanks everyone -
I noticed a comment from Just Kampers on their YouTube clip where they said it would be ok to fit the rails without the spacers if you didn't have them.
That got me thinking.
I worked out that the front and back spacer was actually stopping the bolt from getting to the thread, and combined with a slight bend to the rail was making it impossible.
@bubbadubba - thanks for the tip - yes I did notice that a couple of mine moved, although not all of them so had made sure they were all lined up.
Anyhow, I tried leaving out the front and rear spacers and have managed to fit the rails - they feel secure so I think I'm good to go for this trip at least. Trying to wrack my brains if the set I had ten years ago had the spacers or not, I think maybe it didn't which made fitting easier (as you can access the bottom of the bolt.)

Thanks for the thoughts and support!

Back