Keeping dogs cool in a T6 kombi boot with bulkhead?

RachM

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping I’m not the first person to have this issue, I’ve just bought a T6 kombi and picked it up today.

It has a plastic bulkhead with a glass window in although it does have 2 cut outs at the bottom for longer items to be transported.
Behind the bulkhead, it’s been sound and heat insulated incase it was ever turned into a camper.

I put my dogs crate it and we took her out for a short 10 minute journey when we got back but it got too hot for her even with the AC on full, it didn’t seem to go through the 2 cutouts enough.

Does anyone have any recommendations for keeping her cool whilst in the boot? As we don’t want to remove any of the rear seats to put her cage there, nor do we ideally want to remove the bulkhead.

Ideally we’re looking for a secondary AC system to be in the boot for her. Has anyone had one fitted, know if they exist, or can point me in the direction of having one done? Or any other alternatives people have come up with?

Even without the bulkhead we don’t think enough of the lovely cool air conditioning reached our 3 a couple of weeks ago. I bought a USB desk fan and plan to use that to generate air flow onto them.

Could you use some trunking linked to a fan outlet somewhere to channel the air to the rear. I had a Focus and Mondeo which took a feed from an outlet under the front seats, originally for the rear passengers, and trunked it into the semi-sealed dog cages.

Last edited:
Does she need to be in a crate? Ours is happier in a harness strapped to the seat which we use a cover on. Safe and enjoying company and the AC.

Back