Kenwood DMX 8021 DABS

T6Paul

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Thinking of changing my slowly failing discovery media unit.
Is the newly released Kenwood 8021 worth the extra cost over the 8020?

Hi Paul, I’m weighing up the same decision- did you decide on the 8021? And if so, no regrets? Thanks, Steve.

I’m still weighing up, but I’ll probably go for the newer unit as there isn’t much price difference

I did - I fitted it myself in my T5.1 Caravelle. I really like it. I’ve had wired Apple CarPlay in previous vehicles and basically use it for everything (Spotify, Navigation, messages) rather than inbuilt systems - I wasn’t sure whether paying extra to get wireless CarPlay would be worth it, but having now got used to it, I’m so glad I did. If doing navigation on a long journey, you probably still need to charge your phone, but it’s so convenient for quick short trips, to have CarPlay whilst your phone is still in your pocket. Seems to connect reliably too. Also, I wanted a head unit that had physical buttons for key functions (volume and Siri voice commands in particular) and the option to change the LED colour to match the rest of the dashboard (red) and this can. Also, the shorter form factor makes it easier to fit.

I would also be wondering whether Kenwood have sorted out a few of the glitches in the 8020. Personally, I've found:
The touch screen to be a bit hit and miss in that it sometimes just doesn't respond (but always does in the end!)
When I switch on, the front USB is sometimes simply not seen - removing the stick and putting it back gets it going again but then it loses where you were and you have to find your place again - I checked all the connections but it still comes back now and then. Which brings me to:
I personally find navigating around audio files a pain in the 4rse and wish I could set it to default to sort in alphabetical order by, say, folder, artist or album.
Depending on the angle of the sun, the screen can sometimes get washed out and be barely visible. I made a sun shade for mine which helps but on head units that I've had in the past, the angle of the screen can be mechanically changed to minimise the problem.
Fingerprints on the screen are an absolute nightmare and I find myself keep having to wipe it with a microfibre cloth. By coincidence, I actually put a matte screen protector on mine this morning which is supposed to help with both glare from the sun and fingerprints - time will tell.
I also had an issue with condensation appearing under the screen last year but it went away and hasn't happened again - I pulled the unit out and taped a couple of silica gel bags on to the top to see if I could sort it. I'm not sure whether it was that that helped but the problem hasn't come back, yet at least.

I got myself what I think was a good deal on a new Kenwood 8021DABS and looking to fit in my 16-plate T6 Transporter. It's the S-LINE spec so no wheel controls, no cruise, but has rear and front parking sensors.

I think my shopping list for fitting is:

Fakra DAB male to DAB SMB female antenna adapter
Double Fakra to Male DIN aerial antenna adapter cable
USB retention cable
CANbus interface
Fascia adapter panel

There is a LOT of options online to purchase the CANbus, so any help here would be great as I am keen to keep the price down.

I am also considering a steering wheel upgrade from the horrible plastic OEM to something a bit nicer with at least volume and phone controls.

Last edited:
Back