Kombi camper conversion

Hi everyone. I have recently converted my kombi into a camper and wanted to share in case it could give someone inspiration.
After all the excellent information I have got from this site, I wanted to share something back.
My wife brought the van last year. We wanted a kombi as a run around to drop the kids at school but also to go away in.

The brief.
Keep the rear seats as we liked the rear seating area closer to the front and were concerned about them sitting miles away on rear seats in a conversion.
Convert it to sleep 4 people for multiple night trips.

When I came to look for ideas nothing fitted the bill, so I had a go myself and this is what I did.

1000011654.jpg

1000011636.jpg

When looking at slide out beds, they all were too high. As in the top of the bed base was in line with the rear seats folded down. This means the mattress has to extend over the seats which would take up too much storage space and would raise the rear area too high for sitting on when cooking.
I build the bed to be in line with the rear seats with the 4 inch cushions added.

1000011649.jpg

I wanted the bed base in one section rather than made of 2 boxes to improve storage but was concerned about flex when lying on it extended.
To stop this, I added a piece of 30mm box steel.
I was worried the bed would be hard to extend with cushions onto, so I added rollers and teflon tape where the slats slid over each other. The bed will easily extend with one hand as a result.

I also wanted as many access options as possible. The gas struts allow you to keep hands free when packing up in the morning.

1000011647.jpg1000011637.jpg1000011647.jpg
1000011648.jpg

1000011640.jpg

1000011639.jpg1000011638.jpgThe bed allows storage for the towbar, spare gas bottle, a double duvet and 4 clothes bags. The pull down door means they can be accessed without removing the cushions.
After the first trip, I added some 1 inch high density foam to pad out the back of the rear seat. This fitted underneath the upholstery and is not noticeable as there was a gap between the seat fabric and hardboard back of the seat.

On the other side, I built storage units around an oven. I have always liked an oven as chips, onion rings, and garlic bread make me happy on rainy days!

1000011633.jpg1000011630.jpg

Fridge wise, we have a yeti 35 that fits perfectly in the back and functions as a table when set up.
1000011668.jpg1000011669.jpg

The front area works well when set up. The ovano table is great and goes with the overall look. I built a storage box under the rear seat that is locked with some gas meter box latches off amazon.

1000011623.jpg1000011624.jpg1000011625.jpg1000011627.jpg

Pop top wise. Thanks to the excellent advice on this website, we went for a black fabric. It was the right choice and is not too gloomy. We also have a rainbow poptop wrap in black which reduces condensation and stops early morning get ups in summer
1000011667.jpg

I took a photo of it inside, but don't seem able to upload. I can try again if anyone is interested.
We got an austops roof, really pleased with it, the froli mattress gives a great night's sleep. We got it done at 8 ball campers. They were a long way away, but well worth it for the excellent, honest service. They also installed touch dimmable spotlights which are great along with a diesel heater.

Final thoughts.
Kombi windows- they don't leak, if you follow the excellent fix on this site- it is just a failed sealant issue.

Personal opinion. The van works better than the 'standard' conversion I once did on a Mercedes Vito. There is more storage and you can retreat to the back when you need a bit of space.

Hope this gives someone inspiration. Any questions just ask.

WOW!! great work really love this layout. It gives much more flexibility than the usual full kitchen down the side. much more of a all rounder for everyday use!

Well done and thanks for sharing!

Excellent work there. Did you ever consider using an air fryer instead of an oven? They make great oven chips and onion ring (and, I would hazard, also garlic bread) plus they're lighter/more compact and can also be used back at home. We love ours.

Excellent work there. Did you ever consider using an air fryer instead of an oven? They make great oven chips and onion ring (and, I would hazard, also garlic bread) plus they're lighter/more compact and can also be used back at home. We love ours.
I can confirm the garlic bread works excellent, albeit doesn't always fit

Reactions: Bav
Thanks. Not got an air fryer in the house yet! Plus, the oven works on gas.
Ahh, good point - I wrongly assumed your oven was electric. :rolleyes:

Gas is certainly more economical for cooking than electric. We have underslung gas for external BBQ and internal hot-air heating, but went for a lithium/solar-powered leisure system so we could have stuff like induction hob, hot water, air dryer, toaster, etc. without being tethered to EHU. Expensive but liberating!

Back