Kombi to van conversion ?

SP01

I have been looking for a new T6.1 panel van, the idea is to use it as a van for a few years while i carry out some renovation work to my house then convert it into some sort of kombi / day van / camper.
I have found a clean 4 year old kombi and the price seems good so im thinking i could save around £12k over a new van, remove the rear seat and rubber mat, add a plywood floor and cover the rear windows to use it as a van for a few years, the interior can be reinstated when needed and the rest tidied up with new headlining and side panels. / carpeting as part of the conversion.
Only thing i would need is a bulkhead to close the cab.
I think the headlining can be trimmed back for the top fixings.
The bottom fixings wont be there but can the side brackets be bolted in and will they be enough to secure the bullkhead without the bottom fixings ?

Adding side brackets should provide enough support for the bulkhead, but make sure they are securely bolted in place.

I think i should be able to get a piece of steel angle across the bottom and screw that down to the ply floor, it just wont have the 4 lower fixings on each side,
I think the Motexion bulkhead is made for the job but i can't find much info on them.

Depends on the reason why you want the bulkhead.
If it’s to stop thieves getting into the back they won’t know how the bulkhead is secured and only the most stupid would attempt to break through a bulkhead.
If it’s to stop several hundred kilos of tools and materials hitting the cab occupants in a collision I’d still with the OEM fastenings otherwise you may not be covered for personal injury after an accident investigation.

It's really only to keep the cab clean and quiet, i need a van for a few years to complete a house renovation, i also want to drive the van as a "car" in the meantime.
I just want tools, materials, rubbish confined to the back, in a few years some new panels and lining would hide any signs that it had been used as a van as long as the cab is still clean and tidy.

I have been looking at T6.1 for a few months now and im surprised at how rough some are and only a few years old which is why im now looking at new vans but i don't really need or particularly want a brand new van.
This kombi is 4 years old / 26k miles, nice and clean, someone else has taken the 40% depreciation hit, im thinking it would be a nicer vehicle as a day van later with the single seats up front, bench seat in the back, twin sliders with factory windows, all these could could be retrofitted to a panel van but at a cost.
Its also a T30, with 6 speed box, the panel vans i have been looking at have been mostly T28 5 speed.

Reactions: CAB
Back