Leaky tailgate

jordanL

I've noticed I'm getting a leak on my t6 19 plate tailgate. I've noticed it on both sides at the back of the van above the lights coming through the lining and at the top. I'm guessing it's coming from the seal? On the top of the van there seems to be a recess near the hinges and I'm wondering if it's coming from there and running down being the panels etc or if anyone has had this issue before?
Thanks.

Mark the seal and a point on the van (gaffa tape will do) so you know exactly where to put it back, then remove the seal, wipe the metal edge clean and the gripper inside as best as possible. All sorts of debris can get stuck in the seal over time.

Is your van converted? I’ve seen a few different problems with this!

One being when people line the whole tailgate with carpet and water has seeped through the carpet and past the seal!

Also, curtains / blinds can go out too far and pass onto the seal giving a similar fault to above!

Make a habit of sweeping the top of the tailgate portal clean when it's open - there isn't a great deal of seal and it relies on the water having free run to drain down the sides not overwhelm it, any debris reduces that margin.

Do check for anything trapped in the seal and it's fit to both the van side and the tailgate side but I find I need to dress the seal every couple of months with some good quality grease. I generally just do the top arc so it remains slightly sticky.

See this thread

Back