Locking and unlocking alarm chirp

Jonny O

Hi,

I have recently bought a 2017 T6 camper conversion. When locking and unlocking the alarm makes a beep / chirp which I want to switch off.

Am I right in thinking it needs to be coded off? I bought a Carista OBD2 which has an option for beep when locking and unlocking but it was set to off. I think that must relate to the horn rather than the alarm noise I’m getting.

I’ve tried a few auto electricians locally (Fife, Scotland) but they either tell me they can’t do anything or are uninterested.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jonny.

Hi, yes it does have to be switched off via vcds or carista etc. Originally I set mine to chirp on lock and unlock but when leaving early in the morning I was conscious of upsetting the neighbours. I set mine so it chirps when I lock it so I know it's locked as I walk away. Which is a better option I reckon. It was a while ago but I just checked the box as far as I can remember?
Are there a couple of A or B options like on some of the other settings I wonder??
I will go and have a look and report back.

Hi, yes it does have to be switched off via vcds or carista etc. Originally I set mine to chirp on lock and unlock but when leaving early in the morning I was conscious of upsetting the neighbours. I set mine so it chirps when I lock it so I know it's locked as I walk away. Which is a better option I reckon. It was a while ago but I just checked the box as far as I can remember?
Are there a couple of A or B options like on some of the other settings I wonder??
I will go and have a look and report back.
Its illegal in the UK, has been for years. But hey ho.

possibly a 3rd party alarm.

i have a META EASY CAN alarm that chirps. - its separate than the van alarm, but uses the same sensors.

Really???.....i never knew it was illegal?? To be honest it's not that loud (think smoke alarm that needs a battery but quieter) deffo not as noisy as the diesel engine firing up. It's only on lock so I will take my chances with the boys in blue but I do like living on the edge :rofl:. The lad across the road works at Asda and sometimes leaves at 5am for an early shift.......his straight piped monster exhaust Saxo I am sure would be of more interest to the Fuzz

Unfortunately this one is quite loud. A double chirp on locking and single on unlocking.

I might have to take it to someone who knows what they are doing to see if it’s a 3rd party alarm like Dellmassive says.

It’s no good at midnight on a campsite so I’m hoping I can get it switched off somehow.

Thanks for all the comments to try and get somewhere with it.

Reactions: CAB
Open the bonnet and see where the sound comes from.

If it's a siren. On the bulk head like mine.

Or from the OEM horn, which is low down behind the fog light area.

It’s definitely high up just under the passenger side of the windscreen. I checked it yesterday. Seems to be a sealed unit and it’s in a hard to get to location. Looks like you need to take the wipers out to get right into it.

Sounds aftermarket to me?

Though there was an option for additional battery backed up alarm siren, but I think that looked like a metal box?

Post a few pics.

You might be able to just muffle the sounder with a cloth and a bit of gaffer tape.

Sounds aftermarket to me?

Though there was an option for additional battery backed up alarm siren, but I think that looked like a metal box?

Post a few pics.

You might be able to just muffle the sounder with a cloth and a bit of gaffer tape.
Thanks, I will do hopefully later today.

@Jonny O , when changing the coding with Carista, did you have the bonnet open? Many of of the recoding options require the van to be in "Service mode".

Drop me a PM if I can help. I have Carista and OBD-11 and am in Dalgety Bay

@Jonny O , when changing the coding with Carista, did you have the bonnet open? Many of of the recoding options require the van to be in "Service mode".

Drop me a PM if I can help. I have Carista and OBD-11 and am in Dalgety Bay
@Scottish Scrutineer Really appreciate the offer. I didn’t have the bonnet open so will see if that makes any difference.

I’ll be in touch directly if not to see if you can think of anything else. I’m in Dunfermline.

Ok, so this is the little rascal. Looks like an after market alarm system. I looked it up and it has instructions in the manual for how to turn off the acoustic signal for arming and disarming but 1. It’s hard to get to and I’d probably need to take off the windscreen wipers and 2. I’d probably balls it up. So I’ll see if there is an aftermarket alarm place near me which can help.

Thanks for all the replies and looks like we have the culprit but unfortunately not an immediate solution

IMG_2214.jpeg

IMG_2215.png

Removing the wiper arms is quite easy.
  1. Mark their position on the screen with some masking tape
  2. Remove the covers on the wiper spindle
  3. Release the nuts on the spindle, but do not fully remove them
  4. Tug/waggle the wiper arms to free them from the splines
  5. Remove the nuts
  6. Lift off the arms
  7. Remove the rubber seal/trim securing the scuttle trim to the body
  8. Pull the scuttle trim off. There are a number of plastic spring clips that release. Go gently and release/ease each free, don't just yank the whole thing off
  9. Replacement is the reverse of above

Removing the wiper arms is quite easy.
  1. Mark their position on the screen with some masking tape
  2. Remove the covers on the wiper spindle
  3. Release the nuts on the spindle, but do not fully remove them
  4. Tug/waggle the wiper arms to free them from the splines
  5. Remove the nuts
  6. Lift off the arms
  7. Remove the rubber seal/trim securing the scuttle trim to the body
  8. Pull the scuttle trim off. There are a number of plastic spring clips that release. Go gently and release/ease each free, don't just yank the whole thing off
  9. Replacement is the reverse of above
Thanks for the instructions. I might have a go if I pluck up the courage.

Back