Looking to buy a DSG

pdnadders

Hi everyone.

I’m finally, after many years of drooling over T5’s, 6’s and now 6.1’s, am about to take the plunge and order a T30 Highline Kombi 150 DSG!!!!
Ultimately this van will be gradually converted to a full camper and also used as my daily driver.
I‘m looking for advice with regards the spec and the buying process as I’ve not bought any vehicle through a main dealer for about 20 years and certainly nothing of this expense so I want to make sure I get it right and don’t end up pi**ed that I missed something off that should have been a ‘no brainer.’

I‘ve had a quote through JCT600 in Sheffield that I’m quite happy with. If anyone could offer any opinions on this dealer that would be great!

Optional extras added: LED light front and rear lights, Discover media, Heated Swivel captains seats, 2+1 seats in the rear, parking sensors with park assist, rear view camera.

Considering also power latching tailgate and sliding door? Is this worth the additional cost?

I’ve read through the 68 or so page thread regarding the backlog, delays and cancellations that people are currently suffering but my original plan was to buy around November/December time and convert over the winter to be ready for the 2022 season so I could cope with delivery being Jan/Feb as it gives me more time to stockpile upgrades so hopefully this could work in my favour!

What questions should I be asking the dealer? What sort of discount should I expect? (The quote I’ve had seems to have a healthy discount anyway but wonder what I should expect?) And I’ve also seen this ‘Autoebid’ site being mentioned? Is this an avenue I should consider given the discount maybe bigger? I’m looking at ‘Lease purchase’ with balloon payment to keep costs down so wonder if any brokers offer a similar option using the Vw 2.9% finance which has to surely be unbeatable!

I appreciate this has been a very long winded post so well done and thank you if you managed to stick with it all the way to the end

Cheers in advance!

Hi…Regarding Discovery Media..ask if CarPlay/android support is included…as when I got mine it’s all extra cost…but ended up just ditching the head unit for aftermarket…You need to consider the future…like if I want to upgrade sound system will it work if not buy cheapest system and upgrade later….just got a loan for the wife’s car 2.8% Sainsbury’s…haggle on price..and if it’s a big investment go for GAP insurance for peace of mind…but don’t buy via VW..any money saved can go on mods :laugh:

ps Using the same quote ring other dealers to compare…it’s your money

Hi…Regarding Discovery Media..ask if CarPlay/android support is included…as when I got mine it’s all extra cost…but ended up just ditching the head unit for aftermarket…You need to consider the future…like if I want to upgrade sound system will it work if not buy cheapest system and upgrade later….just got a loan for the wife’s car 2.8% Sainsbury’s…haggle on price..and if it’s a big investment go for GAP insurance for peace of mind…but don’t buy via VW..any money saved can go on mods :laugh:

ps Using the same quote ring other dealers to compare…it’s your money
Cheers for the reply VanDamMan!

I‘m unsure about the discover media actually. Hired a 6.1 camper for 10 days last year and can’t actually remember if it had Discover or not. Provided I can play Spotify and link google maps through it I’m not that bothered! Especially when it’s £1300!!!

Originally looked at Sainsbury’s loans but the upper limit is £25k I think. I’d planned on buying a T6 but after seeing my mate sell his 2017 van a few weeks ago for silly money due to COVID tax I decided that new would be the best option given the deals available.

I would definitely look into a broker as from what I’ve seen they can offer bigger discounts however they seem to be the ones having their orders cancelled? Could anyone offer any advice around this?.

Cheers for the reply VanDamMan!

I‘m unsure about the discover media actually. Hired a 6.1 camper for 10 days last year and can’t actually remember if it had Discover or not. Provided I can play Spotify and link google maps through it I’m not that bothered! Especially when it’s £1300!!!

Originally looked at Sainsbury’s loans but the upper limit is £25k I think. I’d planned on buying a T6 but after seeing my mate sell his 2017 van a few weeks ago for silly money due to COVID tax I decided that new would be the best option given the deals available.

I would definitely look into a broker as from what I’ve seen they can offer bigger discounts however they seem to be the ones having their orders cancelled? Could anyone offer any advice around this?.

@pdnadders … Hi ..the market for new vehicles is starting to dry up due to components shortages but some outlets still have good stock..I was recently at @BognorMotors and they had some nice vans….nearly new sometimes is better…happy hunting :thumbsup:

@pdnadders … Hi ..the market for new vehicles is starting to dry up due to components shortages but some outlets still have good stock..I was recently at @BognorMotors and they had some nice vans….nearly new sometimes is better…happy hunting :thumbsup:
My mate who has a build thread on here somewhere mentioned @BognorMotors but have to admit I hadn’t heard of them although from what I’ve seen on here they have a fantastic reputation. It’s tough to decide what to do for the best. My timeline for buying was going to be November ish but for anything close to that I’d need to order 2 months ago ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Typical that after about 10 years of wanting a van, the moment I can afford one we’re in a global pandemic. You couldn’t make it up! First world problems though

You might actually find that buying a new van atm is better value, if you can afford it, than a second hand one as these are fetching premium prices because of demand.
I ordered a new van last month and has a provisional build week of 39, so may take delivery in October but im not too stressed and expect that to change tbh.
I got quotes form AutoEbid which my local dealership matched so I decided to keep it at a local level with a dealership who supposedly had allocation, and they also organised the finance on a Lease Purchase basis. I thought it easier if everything was done 'in house' to speak as it should then be a smooth operation throughout. Im not really too sure if there is enough money to be saved to warrant shopping around for different finance deals and is it sometimes quite difficult to compare like for like? Maybe you could let us know if you go down that route?
I've gone for factory fitted Towbar for ease.
You won't go wrong with @BognorMotors motors though...quality!!

Good Luck.

Thanks all for the recommends. We can supply both new and used.

let me know if you want to chat

Oli

You might actually find that buying a new van atm is better value, if you can afford it, than a second hand one as these are fetching premium prices because of demand.
I ordered a new van last month and has a provisional build week of 39, so may take delivery in October but im not too stressed and expect that to change tbh.
I got quotes form AutoEbid which my local dealership matched so I decided to keep it at a local level with a dealership who supposedly had allocation, and they also organised the finance on a Lease Purchase basis. I thought it easier if everything was done 'in house' to speak as it should then be a smooth operation throughout. Im not really too sure if there is enough money to be saved to warrant shopping around for different finance deals and is it sometimes quite difficult to compare like for like? Maybe you could let us know if you go down that route?
I've gone for factory fitted Towbar for ease.
You won't go wrong with @BognorMotors motors though...quality!!

Good Luck.
What drove me to buying new was exactly that!!! It seems far better value to spend a few extra £££ and be able to pick up my perfect spec van than to have to pay over the odds for a van that probably isn’t ‘exactly’ what I’d want and gamble that it’s been properly maintained and then have to compete and barter with the other god knows how many people who want that particular van. Given the deals that I’ve been offered it seems like a far better proposition!

Like you I’m also fairly chilled about timescales so I’ve got that on my side I hope!

Factory tow bar is an option I’m considering as it would mean I could add a tow bar mounted bike rack for mtb’s.

Hi all, just joined and am in the market for a T6 DSG, possibly looking at vehicles between 2016-18.
What are the main things I should be looking out for in regards to faults or things that should be done eg Cam belts, oil filters water lumps etc

Welcome :thumbsup:

Timing belt is 4 years (or xxxx miles whichever comes first) - water pump should really be done at the same time.

I had DSG oil and filter done at 4 years on my previous van and will be on current one too.

I‘ve had two T6s with DSG and would never have a manual one.

What sort of van are you looking for?

I'm about to get my 19 Caravelle up for sale.

Hi I’m picking up my 2020 t6.1 bitdi dsg on Friday does any have any tips or things to check before buying please

What’s the mileage? Has the DSG box had its 40k mile service? Service history? Is it from a Dealer? Warranty’s??
Might help us answer if you can give us more info or a link to the van?

Hi thanks for the reply

It’s got 111k full vw main dealer history it’s had the DSG service the last one was around 85k if my memory serves me well

Back