Low charge current from MIB STD2 Discover Media

jayc001

T6 Pro
I've recently changed phones and my previous phone charged albeit slowly when using Android Auto and GPS. New phone actually loses power when plugged in.
I think the head unit can only supply around 500ma which seems is not enough to run AA, GPS and charge.

Has anyone else seen this and come up with a solution? I can't find an off the shelf power injector so considering splicing a cable to make my own so I can send higher power down the USB C I routed behind the dash and binnacle to my windscreen mount.

Double check if you have an extension or similar it's not a power only one. 500mA is the default for active USB-A and higher rates generally need the data lines to enable.

Reactions: mmi
No extension, straight from the USB port to the phone. Also AA is functioning fine so data connection is not an issue.
It's not a fault with any part of the equipment (head unit, port, cable, phone) more over it's a limitation of the head unit combined with a power hungry phone and wondered if anyone had come across it before and worked a solution.

Splicing in a cable to allow 2A charge from separate supply while still passing the data pair back to HU seems the obvious fix just I can't find an off the shelf cable.

If you splice the data lines are still going to go to the head unit so it's quite likely the phone will still only try and draw 500mA as that's what it will believe it is connected to.

Possibly time to consider a wireless adaptor for AndroidAuto?

Back