Low Wattage Diesel Heater

davidarm

Hi folks,

Has anyone found a low wattage diesel heater that draws <130watts on startup?
I'd like to run the heater off my Ecoflow Delta 2s DC Out port which is limited to around 126W or 8A.

Any heater I have found is right on the hairy edge and I'm not confident it will work.

Kind regards,

Davy

I've had trouble running off portable power packs,

due to the regulated 12.0v DC outputs.

the voltage is normally too low, with the volt drop over the 12v cable as well.

the derv heaters tend to not start properly and flood . . . . . . .

they work much better with higher voltages, like 13.8v

Okay thank you Dell for the swift reply,

may have to use one of the 240V outputs with an AC to DC converter instead. Any thoughts on this ?

Rgds,

Davy

tbh all the derv heaters are fairly similar in there power draw.

its the glow plug that draws the power. ( first 5mins at startup)

so id say, get your heater and test it out.

test the OP voltage of the EF D2 12v terminal,

connect your Derv heater to it. and switch it on,

then keep metering the EF dc voltage, if it drops low, below 12v . . then you know the heater needs more power.

running a 12v charger like a PSU is possible. . . the victron has this specific feature on the IP22/IP65 smart chargers.

+++++++

so a 10A Victron IP65 in Power supply mode - example.

that has the perfect power delivery - 13.8v dc at 10A

1700648628425.png

1700648742301.png

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this matter Dell,

The Victron charger is perfect and seems quite efficient. I'll use the charger for the heater and keep the DC outs for lights.

Thank you,

Davy

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this matter Dell,

The Victron charger is perfect and seems quite efficient. I'll use the charger for the heater and keep the DC outs for lights.

Thank you,

Davy
….and once you get the Victron charger plumbed in, you could add a separate battery to run the heater, & save the eco flow for the lights. You could then add some solar panels to charge the battery when you don’t have hookup (because when you have hookup, you don’t need the diesel heater, because you’d use a small fan heater. No point paying for EHU & then burning diesel) and Boom! You suddenly realise why the Ecoflow & similar of its ilk aren’t really the answer.

….and once you get the Victron charger plumbed in, you could add a separate battery to run the heater, & save the eco flow for the lights. You could then add some solar panels to charge the battery when you don’t have hookup (because when you have hookup, you don’t need the diesel heater, because you’d use a small fan heater. No point paying for EHU & then burning diesel) and Boom! You suddenly realise why the Ecoflow & similar of its ilk aren’t really the answe

….and once you get the Victron charger plumbed in, you could add a separate battery to run the heater, & save the eco flow for the lights. You could then add some solar panels to charge the battery when you don’t have hookup (because when you have hookup, you don’t need the diesel heater, because you’d use a small fan heater. No point paying for EHU & then burning diesel) and Boom! You suddenly realise why the Ecoflow & similar of its ilk aren’t really the answer.
Thanks for sharing Salty Spud.

Rgds,

Davy

Don't forget the diesel heater will need the higher current draw at both start and end of use, so what ever your powering it with make sure it has sufficient energy left to allow the thing to shut down correctly, if you just kill the power to it they really dont like it.

Reactions: CAB
Don't forget the diesel heater will need the higher current draw at both start and end of use, so what ever your powering it with make sure it has sufficient energy left to allow the thing to shut down correctly, if you just kill the power to it they really dont like it.
Roger that, thanks for your contribution Sparkzer mate much appreciated.

Rgds

Davy

Back