LR Autotech Electrical & Off Grid Services - Hello!

LR Autotech

Trade Member
Hi all,

Please see below a little bit about us and the services we can provide. Any questions, please ask.

About Us:

After many years of owning and converting vans for myself and helping others with various aspects of their conversions, we have decided to move into this full time.

We mainly concentrate our services on the Electrical and Off-Grid side of the conversion process including heating / cooling and water systems.

With over 20 years’ experience in the electrical industry as an Approved Electrician working on systems ranging from 12v DC up to 630V AC, including working for Mercedes AMG F1 Team for 7 years as a track side Race Team Electronics Technician responsible for the electrical systems on the F1 cars, I feel we have the skills and knowledge to ensure the electrical systems and components are specified and installed, safely and correctly into your campervans.

Why Use Us:

Although a lot of the 12v/48v electrical components needed for conversions are sold by companies as ‘DIY’ kits, it is still a requirement or recommendation by nearly all manufacturers that their equipment is installed and tested by a qualified electrical engineer, for warranty purposes, aswel as a British Standard and HSE requirement that all AC electrical work is carried out within the guidelines of BS7671 and tested by a qualified competent person.

We have also recently heard from 3 customers insurance companies asking for electrical installation certificates for (non OEM) campervans which have over £2500 worth of electrical items installed for them to be covered on a like for like basis.

We know that a fair amount of people do a reasonably safe and good job of their electrical installation with in their van, but would like the piece of mind of it being checked over. We can give your system a safety check over to ensure all parts are installed correctly or install any parts of the system you do not feel comfortable to do.

What We Do:

We can supply and fit all electrical components needed for any type of conversion to meet your requirements. This can be individual components and upgrades, up to a full off grid design and installation.
We also install everything needed for the fresh and waste water system, including tanks, pumps, fittings and pipework.

All of our installations are completed to the highest of standards, and tested multiple times to ensure the systems work faultless throughout your adventures!

As with most conversion related work, all prices and timeframes are different depending on the type and size of van and the specification required.

We hope we can assist in helping you get the correct off grid system installed safely within your vans and campervans.

Please let me know if you’d like any more information. Or visit lrautotech.co.uk or the links below.

Thanks for reading!

awesome . . a proper sparky firm on the Traders List.

start posting pics of your installs for us all to see.

and can i ask. . . the,

"insurance companies asking for electrical installation certificates for (non OEM) campervans" - would that be a standard EICR? - like on a domestics house for example?

but obviously based around BS6717 for the mobile installation but specifically looking at the 240v AC and 12v DC side of the install?

or is there a different test or cirt? or would we get a normal EICR, but based around the van?

and there has always been a difference off opinion on the PE earth arrangements for a van, - but that not for this post,

if you get a chance pop over here and have a look.

the Victron answer was that a 12v inverter based 240v is floating system, so not chassis PE or ground stake PE required.

but if an external EHU point is fitted, the the van chassis MUST have a PE bond.

the tricky bit is when the van has both arrangements installed.

ie: an external EHU that may have a change over relay that will shunt the internal sockets from EHU over to floating inverter.?

the recommendation was to keep the EHU side and 12v inverter side on sperate sockets.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I just had a look at your website - it’s fantastic to have an automotive electrical technician with such amazing credentials join.

Wishing you every success

awesome . . a proper sparky firm on the Traders List.

start posting pics of your installs for us all to see.

and can i ask. . . the,

"insurance companies asking for electrical installation certificates for (non OEM) campervans" - would that be a standard EICR? - like on a domestics house for example?

but obviously based around BS6717 for the mobile installation but specifically looking at the 240v AC and 12v DC side of the install?

or is there a different test or cirt? or would we get a normal EICR, but based around the van?

and there has always been a difference off opinion on the PE earth arrangements for a van, - but that not for this post,

if you get a chance pop over here and have a look.

the Victron answer was that a 12v inverter based 240v is floating system, so not chassis PE or ground stake PE required.

but if an external EHU point is fitted, the the van chassis MUST have a PE bond.

the tricky bit is when the van has both arrangements installed.

ie: an external EHU that may have a change over relay that will shunt the internal sockets from EHU over to floating inverter.?

the recommendation was to keep the EHU side and 12v inverter side on sperate sockets.

Thanks for the welcome,

The cert that 2 of the companies requested was a cert to say the installation was installed by a qualified electrician as a new installation, along with an EIC, as they were insuring there van for the first time as a campervan.

We do issue PIR EICR style inspection reports, These should be carried out every 3 years, although we recommend every year for heavily used campers, or if they are used as a daily vehicle. This focuses on section 721 of BS7671and includes inspection of both 12v & 240v cabling/connections/MCB’s/Incoming switches etc aswel as recording the test results on the test record sheet as part of the report.

Ill have a read through earthing thread, as we’ve had similar questions in the past. The Victron comment is correct as the inverter generated voltage is a ‘floating’ system, although id still recommend there is earth continuity between the inverters generated ‘earth’ and the chassis earth/ground, as if not, this could impact any equipotential and supplementary bonding through out the installation when using the inverter power.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I just had a look at your website - it’s fantastic to have an automotive electrical technician with such amazing credentials join.

Wishing you every success
Thankyou Hopefully we can help and assist people to keep their campers safe and reliable.

Welcome to the Forum.. sounds like you might know what you are doing!!....and could possibly help me with a few things....
Do you have any experience with dash cams?I seem to have a slight issue with my Thinkware F770
I know every van is different but what would a broad price be on a reasonable set up for van wifi?
I also need a fridge isolation switch fitting in a conveneint location.
Wishing you every success.

Back