Lwb v swb in bed position

graydog82

Hi when the RIB beds are in bed mode what’s the defence in space between the end of the bed and the captain seats in a swb van against a LWB van, I’m seeing 400mm difference written In a few places is this the case? I’d prefer a swb van for multiple reasons but I don’t want to shell out for one and a conversion and then regret it! Any advice would be much appreciated
Kev

A LWB is 400mm long than a SWB. The difference being between the rear of the sliding door/s and the front of the rear wheel arch. The floor from the wheel arches back will be the same in both bodies, so the beds will be on the same positions in both relative to the tailgate or barn doors

In a LWB you can leave the bed down and there’s still plenty room between the end of the bed and the front seats turned around. You still have full access to the kitchen and can even still fit the table.
I will often just leave my bed down if it’s just me away fishing

Hi when the RIB beds are in bed mode what’s the defence in space between the end of the bed and the captain seats in a swb van against a LWB van, I’m seeing 400mm difference written In a few places is this the case? I’d prefer a swb van for multiple reasons but I don’t want to shell out for one and a conversion and then regret it! Any advice would be much appreciated
Kev
Yes, 400mm. I stayed in a SWB before we bought a van, and we went LWB for this reason, you get a useable floor space with the bed down in LWB. It still goes in regular parking spaces.

Reactions: CAB
Mine's SWB and we set the bed up when we arrive and leave it set up. We can still get to the fridge and hob as there is room to stand up in that space and also enough room to get dressed.
We can't use the Fiamma Table mount that is in the floor, have to lean over to get to the tap and one cupboard is inaccessible when the bed is down. The extra 400mm provided by LWB would be great and would feel more spacious but for us it would have meant we couldn't park the van in the garage and that was important for us.

I would support the LWB for this. My van is LWB and we leave the bed, turn the front double seat and room to put up the table. Also i believe an LWB has a few extra mm height so when the pop top is down you get just a little more headroom.

I’ve had SWB in the past and my last 2 have both been LWB. The LWB is the same length as the useless 2019 Ford Ranger I had for a while, and I don’t find it an issue finding suitable parking spaces.

LWB is definitely better for me, that 400mm makes a big difference for living space/toilet

Reactions: Bav
On a more conciliatory note I've just nipped out and this is a SWB camper without the top up or passenger seat turned, plus we are borderline vertically challenged so an easy fit moreso if you fold the bed back before attempting to change clobber.:thumbsup:
IMG20240730111935.jpg
IMG20240730112016.jpg

I find myself worrying about the van sticking out of car park spaces with an SWB as it is. There's a lot of bad drivers about and with an LWB i'd be parking it miles away from everyone else in a car park to be sure.

Back