Mainbeam MOT failure

perrance

Good morning All,

Firstly, I am a new T6 owner and have started slowly making it my own. Come across my first big issue. MOT failure.

I saw a couple of members with similar issues on their headlights but couldn't find solution for mine.

MOT;

"Dipswitch operation does not extinguish all main beam headlamps leaving at least one pair dipped beam headlamps 4.1.3(b)"

"Dipswitch does not operate immediately when selected on dipped beam 4.1.3(b)"

Since this I have changed the switch to an auto switch (case was broken anyways) and battery reset (BCM reset as suggested on another post). I can only get full beam off by 'flicking' it as if you were flashing full beam. Which is still a failure and it needs to go off when you pull back on switch once (centre).

Im a bit stuck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The settings have possibly been tweaked in vcds to make them work like that.

Anyone near you with vcds that can have a look for beer tokens ?

Or

Take it to a different MOT garage that might not be so picky. And have it retested.

Could it even be the actual stalk switch that has failed? There must be some mechanism inside that makes them ‘click’ into the fixed position and then click back when pushed a second time.
Might be worth pulling it apart if the vcds coding looks ok.

Thanks both, I have contacted a member local to see if he can assist with the VCDs.

Regarding the stalk, the stalk seems fine in terms of it clicking and doing what its suppose to. I will look for a replacement in the mean time.

Update so far - No luck with the member on here.

I am looking to order THQ V3's to see if that clears it up (also wanted to replace the headlights anyways).

I have only managed to find a local ish garage that can help and they will "take a look" no promises clearly, but they don't take 'beer tokens' unfortunately. This could be an expensive first MOT already!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Anyone near you with vcds that can have a look for beer tokens ?
IMG_7483.jpeg

I am looking to order THQ V3's to see if that clears it up (also wanted to replace the headlights anyways).

Presuming you have the common H4 headlamps, when you upgrade to H7’s you’ll want someone with VCDS to enable simultaneous dipped+main beam.

And just to make sure we understand what the issue is, can you upload a video or photos showing which lamps illuminate with the switch in dipped, flash and main-beam positions..

Hi mate,

I will upload a video later.

I have postponed the V3's for now and I have managed to find someone to come look at the vcd tomorrow.

If he can sort it I will just leave the lights until a later date as I really don't want to be touching them after this traumatic experience!

Since this I have changed the switch to an auto switch (case was broken anyways) and battery reset (BCM reset as suggested on another post). I can only get full beam off by 'flicking' it as if you were flashing full beam. Which is still a failure and it needs to go off when you pull back on switch once (centre).

Im a bit stuck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I had this problem with my T6. There are 2 types of control stalks. the T6 version is a non-latching switch which you simply pull towards you to activate flash, or push select main beam and pull towards you to dip. The switch always returns to the centre. The T5 version was the traditional/latching push away to switch to main. If you fit a T5 switch to a T6, then it behaves as you have described requiring two movements; one to move the stalk from main to middle, then another pull towards to dip. When my T6 was retro-fitted with CC, they used a T5 style switch and it was annoying.

I changed the switch to a T6 version and it now operates correctly. The only issue was I bought one which didn't have a rear wash/wipe control :oops:

I think you can change the switch operation mode in VCDS

VIDEO to follow

Last edited:
Update - It's sorted, MOT retest tomorrow. So will see how that goes.

I tried everything within my capabilities but in the end had to fork out and get an engineer over to sort the coding...I wasn't present when he done it but from what I gather the coding had been battered previously.

Thanks for the help.

Back