More ABS sensor fun - advice please

Ltrain

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hello all,

Few weeks rear right abs sensor went. Van was due in for garage to replace bushings so got them to do it at the time. They insisted needed to be a genuine sensor for the front assist - didn't argue as figure could be true. All good and my wallet few hundred quid lighter:rolleyes:

Now a few weeks later all the lights are on again and OBD11 tells me the fault lies with the rear left sensor this time.

Is this just bad luck/coincidence that both failed in similar time frame?

Do I need a genuine part or at least matching both sides? Keen to do it myself but don't want to waste the ' good' sensor that's been replaced.

And should I be thinking of anything else given one side has gone shortly followed by the other?

Cheers!

I had a similar issue on my T6 ,used non genuine parts with out problems.
I think it was just bad luck.
Easy job so you should be OK

They will wear/corroded at the same rate.

So if one goes, chances are the other side will need doing fairly soon after.

It makes sense to swap both sides from a mechanical point of view.... But the wallet will disagree.

Has the sensor failed or has the gap between the sensor and tone ring increased due to corrosion?
If the later the surfaces need cleaning and refit the existing sensor with a thin coat of anti-seize grease, not on the face of the sensor.
If a new sensor is fitted ensure it is always greased, a garage probably won’t do this as seized sensors generate work and it’s not their problem.

Thanks all - haven't taken it apart yet to look but will investigate. Figured was just one of those things but alas!

Back