MOT fail for number-plate spacing

Was it the original plate from the dealer registration?

No surprise I guess.

The worlds going to run on surveillance! That said if somebody did a hit and run on a relative I know I’d want the camera to be able to catch them.

I know this will be controversial but, number plates look shit no matter what they (almost) say or however much gelling, 3Ding, or even 4Ding gets done to them so why would anyone bother doing anything with them?

The worlds going to run on surveillance! That said if somebody did a hit and run on a relative I know I’d want the camera to be able to catch them.
The camera would read the 30mm spacing. But, it’s all about compliance to the spec now!

ANPR is now a massively important part of many criminal investigations, whilst I agree with @JOG, it wouldn't make a difference in normal circumstances, in less than ideal light, at an oblique angle, the spacing might be the difference between a correct read and a mis-read, which could have serious consequences.

Not sure if it should be classed as a major defect....MOT Tester has a job to do, following the rules etc...MOT Is all about safety...or it used to be!!

ANPR is now a massively important part of many criminal investigations, whilst I agree with @JOG, it wouldn't make a difference in normal circumstances, in less than ideal light, at an oblique angle, the spacing might be the difference between a correct read and a mis-read, which could have serious consequences.
Its all about safety...or is it...
when I was a lad racing about on my scooter.... Mr Policeman would pull you over and have a chat......
Oh them was the days

Its all about safety...or is it...when I was a lad racing about on mt moped....Mr policesman would pull you over and have a chat......Oh them was the days
I totally agree, They were better days in so many ways but times change and technology like ANPR is now too valuable as a Policing tool to ignore.
I remember the protests when town centres were watched 24/7 on CCTV for the first time, people talking about their privacy being invaded etc. That conversation largely ended when the killers of little Jamie Bulger were caught because of CCTV.
If we want to live in relative safety (note the word relative!) we have to accept some level of intrusion and monitoring.
Funnily enough many people are happy to share every aspect of their lives on social media from what they had for breakfast (nobody cares!) to where they are and who they're with. I don't understand it at all, but I still carry cash instead of leaving an electronic trail of where I've been and what I've bought!

I totally agree, They were better days in so many ways but times change and technology like ANPR is now too valuable as a Policing tool to ignore.
I remember the protests when town centres were watched 24/7 on CCTV for the first time, people talking about their privacy being invaded etc. That conversation largely ended when the killers of little Jamie Bulger were caught because of CCTV.
If we want to live in relative safety (note the word relative!) we have to accept some level of intrusion and monitoring.
Funnily enough many people are happy to share every aspect of their lives on social media from what they had for breakfast (nobody cares!) to where they are and who they're with. I don't understand it at all, but I still carry cash instead of leaving an electronic trail of where I've been and what I've bought!
Love that…. cash used to be king…. not now!

You need to find a nicer MOT garage, im all up for the safety aspects of an MOT but 5mm spacing isnt really taking the p155, around here some plates are totally unrecognizable with screws and tape making it read like something it isnt

/See what i did there :)

Not sure if it should be classed as a major defect....MOT Tester has a job to do, following the rules etc...MOT Is all about safety...or it used to be!!
How many would leave the 3D plates on if they got an Advisory instead of a Major

The MOT is driven predominately by safety, yes. But, it is also the opportunity where an "independent", certified and "regulated" tester assures the safety elements and can test for compliance with related legislation. (Those EGRs are just about "safety" related after all!) Without wishing to get into a debate about what police do or don't do, I really don't want my tax being spent on a copper checking a car rather than real policing. So, making it part of an MOT is sensible, IMHO!

It’s actually just 3mm out of limit, on a very cold day it might pass!

1637343545029.jpeg

Last edited:
Back