MOT query

Salty Spuds

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Bit of an odd one. The van’s MOT expires next month, took it in today for its MOT which it failed on a damaged tyre, no great shakes in the big scheme, BUT, the garage informs me that it’s now out of MOT & illegal to use as it’s failed, but the current MOT doesn’t expire until next month. So is the van still covered under the yet to expire MOT, or does failing an MOT cancel out the existing one?

As it's all digital now, if it fails that overrides your current MOT. It happened to me this year too.
Thanks. Sort of negates the benefits of having it done early. I always assumed that the point of getting in early was so that you could sort any problems before the current ticket ran out.

I suppose it makes sense really. If it's failed because of something potentially dangerous then it shouldn't be on the road and OK to drive. Legally I was able to drive it home, drive it to a garage with an appointment to fix the problem then back for a retest.

The government website says you can drive it away if nothing dangerous identified.

Pete

I had a VW main dealer pull this one on me. Wouldn't let me take the vehicle home saying that as it had now it had failed, it wasn't allowed on the road. Silly thing was the point in question was a really petty and always been the case with the vehicle since I bought it from them. They had passed it for the previous 6 odd years without even mentioning it. I kid you not, they failed it because the wing mirror repeater LED was brighter on one side of the vehicle than the other.

Complete clap trap. Got into a full blown shouting match with them. They practically threatened to call the police if I took the vehicle off their site without paying them to do the repair. I was dumbfounded. And they haven't seen any of my vehicles since.

I think they must have assumed that I had arrived on the banana boat that morning and was going to happily pay hundreds of pounds to replace a £10 part that any half competent person could do in 20 minutes.

I had a VW main dealer pull this one on me. Wouldn't let me take the vehicle home saying that as it had now it had failed, it wasn't allowed on the road. Silly thing was the point in question was a really petty and always been the case with the vehicle since I bought it from them. They had passed it for the previous 6 odd years without even mentioning it. I kid you not, they failed it because the wing mirror repeater LED was brighter on one side of the vehicle than the other.

Complete clap trap. Got into a full blown shouting match with them. They practically threatened to call the police if I took the vehicle off their site without paying them to do the repair. I was dumbfounded. And they haven't seen any of my vehicles since.

I think they must have assumed that I had arrived on the banana boat that morning and was going to happily pay hundreds of pounds to replace a £10 part that any half competent person could do in 20 minutes.
8EB6EE2F-DDDD-4F27-B372-0A70D74ACD2F.jpeg

Thanks. Sort of negates the benefits of having it done early. I always assumed that the point of getting in early was so that you could sort any problems before the current ticket ran out.
I think the point of getting it done early means that you have a full month window in order to get it tested and still have a full 12 month ticket following on from the due date.

In your case, it would have made more sense for them to have fitted the spare wheel for the process of the test, and put the damaged tyre to one side. You can't have a damaged spare, but if you have no spare, it's OK.

I think the point of getting it done early means that you have a full month window in order to get it tested and still have a full 12 month ticket following on from the due date.

In your case, it would have made more sense for them to have fitted the spare wheel for the process of the test, and put the damaged tyre to one side. You can't have a damaged spare, but if you have no spare, it's OK.
We did discuss putting the spare on, but there’s also an advisory for the opposite side tyre too, so it still needs at least a pair on. I was going to put 4 new ones on in the autumn ready for winter, so it was a good excuse to buy 4 new Agilis Cross Climates :whistle:

EXACTLY!

But the main dealer was having none of it and threatened to call the police if I didn't get them to do the work there and then.

Even if it fails on a serious defect, do the testers really have the jurisdiction to impound your vehicle???

Even if it fails on a serious defect, do the testers really have the jurisdiction to impound your vehicle???
I doubt it, but if you drive it away with a “dangerous” defect, then you’re breaking the law. As I interpret the info on the .gov website, you can still legally drive it with a “Major” defect as long as the current MOT hasn’t expired. It states that if you drive it with a “dangerous” defect, then you can face a penalty of 3 points & a£2500 fine, the implication being that as long as the defect isn’t “dangerous” then you’re ok.
76AF8BAF-10B7-4AA2-B279-ED1858B306AA.jpeg

They don’t

But there are enough moron’s out there who would subsequently try and blame and name/shame the dealer if they did drive it away and get caught with a dangerous defect/ no mot, I can see why they would be reluctant to let you.

We've got a slightly diff conundrum in Northern Ireland.... Due to having to go into dedicated test centres, tests are like hens teeth. You can phone and look online for cancellations or book a test....and wait. By time letters come in you could be talking 3 month wait. Once tested though the MOT expiry date moves to 12 months from actual test date.....Hard to keep track of!

Back