My Day Van Complete Build Part 1

sportline56

VIP Member
So I think its about time I posted on here as I have been lurking around for a long time gaining valuable information over the last few years I have just completed a self build day van. So I ordered a new short wheel base 204 DSG Panel van in May 2022 with as many factory fitted options I thought was necessary soft close doors, assisted main beam, uprated sat nav, uprated alternator captains seats, LED lights front and rear etc the van turned up in January 2023 and that's where my journey begins
IMG_9730.jpeg

IMG_9731.jpeg
I Drove it home with a idea on how I wanted it to look so started with de badging the rear and wanted to change the the front bumper for a LV lower bumper with splitter a de badged grill and a small lip spoiler on the rear door
IMG_9848.jpeg

IMG_9850.jpeg

After a lot of research and a phone call with Steve at CRS performance in Cannock I opted for for some H&R coilovers and shock absorber package

IMG_9960.jpeg

Then I ordered a set of Judd 20 inch staggered 311r wheels from Tamar Wheels

IMG_0148.jpeg

Now the fun really starts I decided to install my own windows after many you tube videos and research about installing them opting for a flush slider on the drivers side and a fixed pane on the sliding door from THQ so I was cutting holes in my new 52K van thinking measure it 10 times and cut once really easy to be honest just need sharp jigsaw and hole saw bits

IMG_0560.jpeg
IMG_0565.jpeg]
IMG_0588.jpeg

At this time I stared to install sound deadening to all the inside panels where possible I used DODO professional matting this was the black stuff then I put a 4-6 mm insulation blanket over the sound deeding later I used a dodo fiber wadding in the large spaces before fitting the panels back

IMG_0575.jpeg

Then it came to carpeting the interior I used a 3 way stretch that I got from Harris trimmings colour black and anthracite I used a 6 mm ply for the sides that I purchased from Plyworx but TBH the ply was a bit on the thick side i should have gone with the thinner ply as the hidden clips were a struggle to fit

IMG_0612.jpeg

IMG_0616.jpeg

Now for the ceiling I wanted a halo type of LED lights and recessed spots I had decided at the start of the build that I didn't want a pop top as I only want it as a day van and not for camping in for a long period of time I might change my mind one day and have pop top but for now I am happy as it is
I covered the ceiling with a sponge backed grey velour and then removed the cab ceiling and covered this with a stretchy grey velour also from Harrisons trim the halo kit came from Ply worx

IMG_0804.jpeg

IMG_0813.jpeg

Now for the rear seats I wanted a seat that I saw at the camper show and they were a REIMO 3000 on a sliding track system but its not a self fit system it has to be fitted for crash testing etc so I got in touch with Neil at Volksnorth Bradford they had the van for a day and supplied and fitted the seats

IMG_1720.jpegIMG_1724.jpeg

So now I had to build up the floor so the tracks were recessed more ply wood and insulation I also dropped in some flexible conduit for future wire runs from the side of the van to under the drivers seat

IMG_1861.jpeg
IMG_1725.jpeg

Next its the floor covering that again came from Harrison Trim Supplies a grey amtico lino again measure twice and cut once

IMG_2002.jpeg

Part 2 coming ran out of spaces for the attached photos

Last edited by a moderator:
so now i am looking at electric power supply and from the start I fancied a induction hop and recessed sink option so all electric was the way forward so again did some reaserch and went for a Clayton LPS 3000 with remote control that was purchased from THQ petty straight forward to fit just watch a bit of YouTube and follow the instructions. I also fitted a stealth rear hatch by the tailgate for a blue socket co charge the LPS if needed

IMG_2692.jpeg

Now I need a kitchen to go in the van now as I had a Remo 3000 seat system not all kitchens fit this set up so I opted for a bespoke kitchen made to measure by Davanco Leisure in Derbyshire and met Dan who measured the spaces we had and using a CAD made a made to measure kitchen to incorporate microwave, oven, slimline fridge, recessed sink and an electric hob with a splash back and a van shades blinds to both windows. I also had a Webasto diesel heater fitted at this point I was going to do it myself but when the box arrived with all the bits and bobs in it I decided to have it fitted by PB Auto electrics in Mansfield they also supplied the heater on line

IMG_3233.jpeg

I decided early on in the build that some seats by the seat surgeons in York would be great this is what I had made 2 x captains sports seats in leather and the rear remio seat was also covered in leather but again as this was a one off a pattern had to be made for the remio 3000 seat covering with alcantara on the reverse side (bed side) I had the sports steering wheel in leather as well. This is the time that I also installed a Kiravans spinning seat base on the passenger seat this is great and is not squeaky or wobbly at all
Also had a tracker fitted and auto ghost as asked for by the insurance company.

IMG_2829.jpegIMG_2828.jpeg

So we are nearly at the end of the build and its coming together this has taken me approximately 14 - 18 months to complete with the cost being a major part of not completing it in one go and also there is a waiting time for other people to carry out some of the work as well. So I will finish off with a few pictures as it is now I might add a few bits in the future side bars and possibly an upgraded speakers system and may be a digital dash but I have spent far to much already so taking it easy with her now and we are starting to use it so we might see you in and around Nottingham Derby

Thanks for taking the time to look

Kind Regards Tony

IMG_3237.jpeg
IMG_3404.jpeg
IMG_3405.jpegIMG_3564.jpeg

IMG_3554.jpeg

IMG_3561.jpeg
IMG_3557.jpeg

so now i am looking at electric power supply and from the start I fancied a induction hop and recessed sink option so all electric was the way forward so again did some reaserch and went for a Clayton LPS 3000 with remote control that was purchased from THQ petty straight forward to fit just watch a bit of YouTube and follow the instructions. I also fitted a stealth rear hatch by the tailgate for a blue socket co charge the LPS if needed

View attachment 258270

Now I need a kitchen to go in the van now as I had a Remo 3000 seat system not all kitchens fit this set up so I opted for a bespoke kitchen made to measure by Davanco Leisure in Derbyshire and met Dan who measured the spaces we had and using a CAD made a made to measure kitchen to incorporate microwave, oven, slimline fridge, recessed sink and an electric hob with a splash back and a van shades blinds to both windows. I also had a Webasto diesel heater fitted at this point I was going to do it myself but when the box arrived with all the bits and bobs in it I decided to have it fitted by PB Auto electrics in Mansfield they also supplied the heater on line

View attachment 258271

I decided early on in the build that some seats by the seat surgeons in York would be great this is what I had made 2 x captains sports seats in leather and the rear remio seat was also covered in leather but again as this was a one off a pattern had to be made for the remio 3000 seat covering with alcantara on the reverse side (bed side) I had the sports steering wheel in leather as well. This is the time that I also installed a Kiravans spinning seat base on the passenger seat this is great and is not squeaky or wobbly at all
Also had a tracker fitted and auto ghost as asked for by the insurance company.

View attachment 258272View attachment 258273

So we are nearly at the end of the build and its coming together this has taken me approximately 14 - 18 months to complete with the cost being a major part of not completing it in one go and also there is a waiting time for other people to carry out some of the work as well. So I will finish off with a few pictures as it is now I might add a few bits in the future side bars and possibly an upgraded speakers system and may be a digital dash but I have spent far to much already so taking it easy with her now and we are starting to use it so we might see you in and around Nottingham Derby

Thanks for taking the time to look

Kind Regards Tony

View attachment 258276
View attachment 258274
View attachment 258278View attachment 258279

View attachment 258275

View attachment 258277
View attachment 258280
Really nice, van looks amazing. Love the whole look. What did you use for the led lighting round the roof? Been thinking about having this in my build.

Hi I just used a 12 volt led colour changing strip of eBay but I put it in a flexible silicone sleeve extrusion strip to hide the dot effect

Nice work on that floor round the Reimo, and I like the custom units so you can get full length slide.

How did you deal with the floor height on the side step? Mine was really tricky to get to the right height, even with a Caravelle step.

Hi Drinfinity

Thank you for looking the step is one of the remaining jobs on my to do list its the original van step that I am using at the moment and it doesn't fit properly as its not high enough. But having looked on line found one from Chilli Jam Vans as below I am going to give it a try it looks like its a caravelle step so might have the same problems as you have had

Kind Regards Tony

DESCRIPTION
VW T5, T6 and T6.1 genuine caravelle side step with LED light in titan black.
This side step is the highest side step available and will cover your floor trim if using thick caravelle carpet or have multi rail seats.
Wiring looms sold separately.

Back