New Delivery Walkthrough?

chris ratay

World Traveler: 2023 T6.1 on 3 continents.....
VIP Member
T6 Pro
What should I focus on when picking up a new van in another country?

We're picking up our new 2023 T6.1 Ocean 4-motion/diff lock this Saturday in Germany. It is a pre-ordered spec car, sold by an authorized VW reseller. It has all the features/upgrades we would have ordered, without the long wait. The plan is to take a few days to drive the 1,500km back our home to Budapest, Hungary.

I've never bought a new camper before - What should we include and/or check on our delivery walkthrough? Any suggestions or shared knowledge would be great. :mexican wave:

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 9.03.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 9.05.23 PM.png

Make sure they show all the systems, all the buttons and switches, and that everything is working including gas and water. Bed and roof operation, all cupboards.

Vehicle lights, fogs, media unit, how any safety systems work (City brake, lane change, that sort of thing).

DSG? I have never driven one so would want some basic instruction on the modes, how to stop at lights, how to park etc.

If there are two of you, ask to video the handover.

Vehicle lights, fogs, media unit, how any safety systems work (City brake, lane change, that sort of thing).

DSG? I have never driven one so would want some basic instruction on the modes, how to stop at lights, how to park etc.

If there are two of you, ask to video the handover.

Ahhh, good stuff. I don't even know what a City Brake is.

I never owned DSG - interesting comment about stopping/parking. I would assume just like any other automatic, but worth asking.

Reactions: CAB
Ahhh, good stuff. I don't even know what a City Brake is.

I never owned DSG - interesting comment about stopping/parking. I would assume just like any other automatic, but worth asking.
I have never driven an auto (apart from in the US!) so have no idea how they are supposed to work! Took me a few days to realise where the handbrake was
:uh run:

City brake just means that anti-collision thing they have, never realised I had it on my car until it stopped me bumping someone at a roundabout :eek:

To stop at the lights, just leave it in D and keep your foot on the brake. If you are mindful about the vehicle behind staring at your brake lights for too long, snick it into Neutral and use the handbrake. Many vehicles with auto hold keep the brake lights on even with your foot off the pedal. I know the T6 only shows it's brake lights with the pedal pressed, I'm not sure about the T6.1, so you'd need to check.

Parking, the only issue I've had before I learned how to use it, is the way it can roll back before drive is taken up. For example reversing up a slope into a parallel space, you are half in, but need to go forwards a bit to change your line. Having gone forwards, when starting off backwards again, it can roll forwards into the vehicle in front. To prevent this, hold it on the brake for a little longer. This will engage hill start assist and prevent it rolling forwards.

Back