New member - downsized!

Thidwick

Hello all,

New member in your forum!
Thank you for having me!
We have just shaken hands on the purchase of a T6 (T6.1 maybe?) camper van. The van is a 23 plate, which has been professionally converted in Worksop, Notts - though we looked at it, and bought it, near home in Cumbria. It’s a private purchase - long story, but the seller doesn’t know (or tell us) a lot about how stuff works.
The van has less than 2k miles on the clock, and has never really been used. We are expecting to collect the van early next week.
We have had motorhomes in the past, but sold our motorhome about 18 months ago - and have been missing van life opportunities ever since - and so agreed to buy the T6 a bit unexpectedly to satisfy travelling urges. We weren’t expecting to find one so soon that suited us, and which we could afford. Our logic for the downsizing is that the T6 will get used more than the motorhomes did - and I believe (really really believe) that we can still go to the continent for several weeks just as we did in the big beast Motorhome - but with less clutter.
I’ve got questions….many questions. Some here….
It’s never been used - so no gas cylinder. The gas locker is tiny! Which type/sort/size of gas cylinder do I need to get? What do I need to get to connect the cylinder to the regulator in the locker? The regulator looks as if the connection is threaded.
It’s got a pop-top, and an upper bed area which is like a hard shelf. Can a thin foam mattress be left in place up there and still close the roof on it?
It’s (apparently) got a “Webasto” diesel heater. Are these ok? Safe? Is there a separate diesel supply for this or does the fuel come from the vehicle tank?
The small (!) fridge is, I think, a 12v compressor fridge. Does this use a lot of power? Will it run from the leisure battery without draining it too fast? Or is the fridge likely to only work when on hook up?

Too many words- too many questions…. But I’m really looking forwards to us picking up the van and experimenting whilst travelling.

Thanks all!

Hi welcome to the forum.
The search button will be your friend and answer all of your questions.
Here’s a few answers for you.
Yes it is a T6.1
The gas you need will almost certainly be a campingaz 907 small blue bottle. Which lasts surprisingly long. This will be the attachment you need to buy for it.
You can normally get away with leaving a 50mm/2” mattress up ther but depends on make of pop top.
Any thicker and the roof won’t close.
The webasto heaters are good and will be tapped into your vans diesel tank.
The power question depends purely on your leisure battery set up.
Normally only lasts a couple days running the fridge with a lead acid battery and no solar panel.

Hi welcome to the forum.
The search button will be your friend and answer all of your questions.
Here’s a few answers for you.
Yes it is a T6.1
The gas you need will almost certainly be a campingaz 907 small blue bottle. Which lasts surprisingly long. This will be the attachment you need to buy for it.
You can normally get away with leaving a 50mm/2” mattress up ther but depends on make of pop top.
The webasto heaters are good and will be tapped into your vans diesel tank.
The power question depends purely on your leisure battery set up.
Normally only lasts a couple days running the fridge with a lead acid battery and no solar panel.
Thanks for the replies! Very helpful!
I will look into getting a campingaz bottle and the valve.
Google suggests Halfords sell the bottles.
I will further investigate the mattress for the shelf.
I’m hoping there is a Webasto manual in the carrier bag of stuff in the van cupboard.

Welcome Thidwick , looks a nice van :thumbsup:
What engine and transmission?
Does it have solar maybe ?
YES you can do the continent in it like so many of us do ...easy more comfortable driving and so much easier to find space for .
I'd consider a refillable LPG tank maybe ?

Don't buy from Halfrauds or GoOutdoors. You will find a used, semi full one locally on the usual auction or freebie sites.
If you were near Nortumberland, I have several spare looking for new homes.

Refill costs can be erratic to say the least, anything from £25-55 !
Or yiu could look at @Dellmassive 's impressive thread on his refill set-up.

Welcome Thidwick , looks a nice van :thumbsup:
What engine and transmission?
Does it have solar maybe ?
YES you can do the continent in it like so many of us do ...easy more comfortable driving and so much easier to find space for .
I'd consider a refillable LPG tank maybe ?
It’s 150Hp diesel and DSG auto.
Yes, there is a solar panel. (How will I know it’s working? On the last Motorhome I could observe the control panel and see the watts being added to the batteries.)
Refillable LPG? Hmmmm… I quite enjoyed converting the last Moho to a refillable system.

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful!
I will look into getting a campingaz bottle and the valve.
Google suggests Halfords sell the bottles.
I will further investigate the mattress for the shelf.
I’m hoping there is a Webasto manual in the carrier bag of stuff in the van cupboard.
Hi, think I might have a Webasto manual somewhere but being honest watching videos on it where more helpful.

Hi, think I might have a Webasto manual somewhere but being honest watching videos on it where more helpful.
Thanks Paul - but hang fire on the manual. As I said, we haven’t collected the van yet, and there is a bag of stuff (papers, manuals, and bits) in the van. I suspect a Webasto manual is in there.

In other news, I had a brainwave and went for a deep dive into the innermost recesses of my garage, and dug out a camping gas cooker which was last used maybe 20+ years ago when we used to take the kids tent camping. With the cooker was a dusty and cobwebbed gas bottle which turns out (once cleaned off) to be a 907 cylinder. Good. Maybe I can exchange this almost empty antique for a full new one?

Maybe I can exchange this almost empty antique for a full new one?
Welcome. You will be able to exchange no problem but you will almost certainly need the little screw in plug/handle with it. If you haven’t got one you can buy them easily for a few quid. You’ll get a new one with your new cylinder so make sure you keep it somewhere safe for the next exchange. One of these:

IMG_0497.jpeg

Welcome. You will be able to exchange no problem but you will almost certainly need the little screw in plug/handle with it. If you haven’t got one you can buy them easily for a few quid. You’ll get a new one with your new cylinder so make sure you keep it somewhere safe for the next exchange. One of these:

View attachment 257805
There was one of those screwed into the cylinder. Was well stuck in with some corrosion product, but it moved eventually. So yes, my luck is in.

We can leave a couple of sleeping bags on top of the mattress in ours and still have room when we close the roof down - must be quite a tall one.
I would say the inch and a half of foam does not a lot for comfort and, for us, it may be worthwhile investing in a double ‘self inflating mattress’ that we can deflate and still leave up there but will inflate to a lofty four inches! Might be worth adding to your list of things to consider?

We can leave a couple of sleeping bags on top of the mattress in ours and still have room when we close the roof down - must be quite a tall one.
I would say the inch and a half of foam does not a lot for comfort and, for us, it may be worthwhile investing in a double ‘self inflating mattress’ that we can deflate and still leave up there but will inflate to a lofty four inches! Might be worth adding to your list of things to consider?
Thanks for this.
I like the idea of the self-inflating mattress. I used to have one for tent camping years ago. Not 4 inches thick though! I will look into it.

Back