Nextbase 512g dash cam

Stripy

T6 Pro
Just fitted one of these to my van, I'm loving the motion mode but I don't use the van during the week , so do you think it will drain the battery leaving it on for 5 days and nights without starting the motor, it draws 1.5 amp or 5v.

I'm guessing that if you are running it of your main battery (who's main job is to start your van), these are not very efficient and delivering steady low level draw over hours (unlike leisure batteries). I don't know but after about 20 amp-hours, you starting battery will be struggling to have enough left to start your van (particularly in winter as battery performance falls of a cliff when it gets colder + your van is harder to start: DOUBLE WHAMMY). You are only drawing at a 5volt rate, so assuming the built-in transformer is reasonably efficient, after about 40 hours of draw you will be running close.
Does the 512g have a low voltage protector cut off system; so that it switches off automatically before the voltage has dropped too low in your main starting battery?

Not sure about your particular model but most dashcams have a cutout voltage and when the battery falls to that voltage the dashcam will shut off, on my unit this voltage is adjustable but varies from model to model

Thanks for the answers guys,
Looks like I will have to link it into the leisure battery or switch it of when on the drive for long periods.

It's a nice bit of kit though, if your on the look out for a dash cam and the hard wire kit is easy to fit.

Back