No 3rd party cover with campervan insurance

Keitina

In renewing my insurance with Ageas I find that there is no cover for driving another vehicle.
On car insurances that always seems to be a standard thing.
I am a named driver on my wife’s car so no problem there. However, I had occasion to drive father-in-laws car a month or two back when he was too ill to drive. I find that I was driving without insurance so won’t be able to do that in future.
To add 3rd party cover quote more than doubled!
Is this a normal thing on camper insurance?

Reactions: CAB
In renewing my insurance with Ageas I find that there is no cover for driving another vehicle.
I am a named driver on my wife’s car so no problem there. However, I had occasion to drive father-in-laws car a month or two back when he was too ill to drive. I find that I was driving without insurance so won’t be able to do that in future.
My KGM policy with Aplan covers me for driving other cars 3rd party. I think it's the luck of the draw.

3rd part cover to drive other vehicles isn’t even standard on car insurance these days: Haven’t had it on any of my policies for years now.

What you're referring to is the "driving other cars" (or DOC) extension, which provides the policyholder with Third Party cover when driving a vehicle that isn't owned by them.

It's not unusual to not have DOC on a campervan policy, but it's by no means a hard and fast rule that campervan insurance never have DOC.

The easiest way around your situation (and probably the cheapest, if it's just the odd occasion) is to get your FIL to add you to his policy as a temporary additional driver. Alternatively, get you wife to add her father's car to her policy as a temporary additional vehicle. Using either method, you the have the option to provide yourself with fully comp cover, rather than the Third Party cover provided by DOC.

Appreciate you weren't suggesting to do this, but for god's sake don't just risk it and hope!

@Keitina I'm with Ageas via Adrian Flux and have DOC but when AF used markerstudy DOC was not included

Thanks for all the responses. Seems like it is not so unusual as I thought.
Similar to Bav. Have a look at being a named driver on your FiL's policy - not just temporary. An additional named driver can reduce the cost of the policy.

Similar to Bav. Have a look at being a named driver on your FiL's policy - not just temporary. An additional named driver can reduce the cost of the policy.
Very true about reducing it I enquired about taking my wife off as named driver and the premium went UP

Very true about reducing it I enquired about taking my wife off as named driver and the premium went UP
Very true, but not always - the OP said it doubled the premium, hence my suggestion re temp addtl driver/vehicle.

Very true, but not always - the OP said it doubled the premium, hence my suggestion re temp addtl driver/vehicle.
that was to be covered to drive another vehicle not to add a named driver I believe

Reactions: Bav
Back