Non-running little car...

Jay586

T6 Guru
Not really a VW thing but I could do with some advice from people who know more stuff than me. :)

My mum's Honda Jazz, 03 plate has been sat in her garage for 5+ years now. It's was Mot'd and parked up with a full tank of fuel.

It's not running due to the battery but I'm thinking it needs the fuel drained before it's started? I'm half-inclined to sell it "as seen" or should I get a garage to get it going?

I don't mind either way but she lives in the sticks miles away from me, so either option is a faff.

She's 90 and in hospital, so it does need sorting. It's fairly low mileage and in good nick otherwise.

I’d research what they go for MOT’d and running Vs spares or repair then decide if its worth the hassle.

Also, might be worth looking into companies who deal with mis-fuelling - they come out, drain the tank and dispose of it. Getting rid of old petrol is a nightmare - some recycle centres allow small quantities to be put in the old engine oil.

I'd get a jump pack on it and see if it starts, it's always going to be worth more as a runner than a non-starter. I'd probably remove the plug leads and turn it over for ten seconds before trying to start it just to get some oil back up into all parts of the engine first.
As it's a tidy little low mileage car, I'd aim to re commission it, get a years MOT and a service, and get the best price you can for it, although I appreciate that you probably have more important demands on your time.
There's strong demand for tidy low mileage small petrol engine cars and you might be surprised at what it's worth.

Yes, we have all sorts of challenges at the moment!

It's worth a reasonable amount. If I can find both keys and get it running, about £1500. I used to have one too and it's a great little car.

Back