Ouistreham ferry port - migrants attempted to smuggle back

gringo

Hi all,

Just back from our 1st trip through France and loved it. Myself, other half and our two kids travelled down through Brittany, Dordogne and into Pyreenees over two weeks. Great fun. Watched the Tour De France on the Tourmalet Stage - amazing!

However on our return we were booked onto the ferry from Ouistreham to Portsmouth on the 23:30hrs sailing last Tuesday. Before entering port we parked up in the carpark at wee cluster of restaurants just at the port entrance at about 9pm. Gendarmes were parked up beside us so assumed all would be good. Grabbed table in restaurant and had full view of van. Noticed a few young lads milling about carpark and as dusk approached the gendarmes moved on. 4 of guys then approached van and started opening up the large cargo bag we have attached to bike rack (had paddleboard and life jackets in it). I was out that restaurant like a "dog out the traps" gave them a shout and ran across to stop them. The guys ambled off and were soon joined by a few others. Cargo bag was unzipped by time I got there and they'd also tried to get my road bike off the rear rack. As family were still in restaurant (who were phoning the gendarmes) I was kind of stuck as to what to do. Therefore just asked them directly where they were from and how long they'd been trying to get across to England. Thankfully they were ok with me and after a quick chat, a few smiles , I grabbed the family and headed to the port before it got messy. The lads openly admitted they were trying to get into the cargo bag and had been living in the forest at back of the town for a couple of months whilst trying to get across to England. Mental.

So if anyone else using same ferry port then just be aware and keep an eye on your van if parked up outside the port.

Hi all,

Just back from our 1st trip through France and loved it. Myself, other half and our two kids travelled down through Brittany, Dordogne and into Pyreenees over two weeks. Great fun. Watched the Tour De France on the Tourmalet Stage - amazing!

However on our return we were booked onto the ferry from Ouistreham to Portsmouth on the 23:30hrs sailing last Tuesday. Before entering port we parked up in the carpark at wee cluster of restaurants just at the port entrance at about 9pm. Gendarmes were parked up beside us so assumed all would be good. Grabbed table in restaurant and had full view of van. Noticed a few young lads milling about carpark and as dusk approached the gendarmes moved on. 4 of guys then approached van and started opening up the large cargo bag we have attached to bike rack (had paddleboard and life jackets in it). I was out that restaurant like a "dog out the traps" gave them a shout and ran across to stop them. The guys ambled off and were soon joined by a few others. Cargo bag was unzipped by time I got there and they'd also tried to get my road bike off the rear rack. As family were still in restaurant (who were phoning the gendarmes) I was kind of stuck as to what to do. Therefore just asked them directly where they were from and how long they'd been trying to get across to England. Thankfully they were ok with me and after a quick chat, a few smiles , I grabbed the family and headed to the port before it got messy. The lads openly admitted they were trying to get into the cargo bag and had been living in the forest at back of the town for a couple of months whilst trying to get across to England. Mental.

So if anyone else using same ferry port then just be aware and keep an eye on your van if parked up outside the port.
We’ll be there in a couple of weeks. Use that port every year and have seen people clearly eyeing up any vehicle they can. We’ve even seen some port side - the Police turfing them out of the little toilet block and out of a curtain sider over in the truck area. Not sure how they got there as the fence is decent. Maybe slipped in outside as they tried to with your van?

We’ve always seen the Police check vehicles as they wait to board. Remember one year our Staffy ‘had words’ with a Police sniffer dog when we were asked to open the back up. I did mention we had a dog but he wanted a look still, which I get.
Like we see here, staffys get a mixed reaction in France, thankfully the Policeman seemed to like her. Not sure his dog shared that sentiment! It was definitely a sniffer dog and not an attack dog… it wanted to get away ASAP bless it.

Back