Outer Door Skin Sound Proofing

XZO

T6 Pro
Just wondering if anyone can recommend whether or not to put silent coat [or similar] on the outer door skin, behind the speaker hole. Or - should you put closed foam behind the speaker door hole?

I have put silent coat on the inner door skin and closed foam on the inside of the door card.

Thanks

I'd put silent coat type material and also a wave diffuser foam behind speaker cavity.

Reactions: XZO
Just wondering if anyone can recommend whether or not to put silent coat [or similar] on the outer door skin, behind the speaker hole. Or - should you put closed foam behind the speaker door hole?

I have put silent coat on the inner door skin and closed foam on the inside of the door card.

Thanks

I used Dynamat Xtreme on the door skin and acoustic foam on the inside of the front door cards, big reduction in road noise.
I also did the front wheel arches and front wings with Dynamat Xtreme, both reduced the noise but not as much as the door skin deadening.

Reactions: XZO
Hi,
I’m putting silentcoat and dodo foam in my T6 Kombi. I’ve so far done the roof, tailgate, rear side panels and sliding door. It is so much quieter already
Next step is front doors. I need some advice please..
How do I remove the door trim without causing damage? In particular, are there any screws, etc to undo first before using trim tools to pop out the plastic fixings?
Many thanks...

Thanks very much DXX and Skyliner for the advice, links and quick response. I am extremely glad I asked. I’d never have found those fixings on my own. I’d not doubt have had lots of broken clips and more! Cheers..

image.jpg Hi has anyone removed the internal workings of the door to get silent coat on outer skin? I’ve unclipped and removed all bolts could do with advice or video of what to do next!

View attachment 64177 Hi has anyone removed the internal workings of the door to get silent coat on outer skin?
I’ve unclipped and removed all bolts could do with advice or video of what to do next!
Funnily enough, I was doing exactly that at the same time you were.

If you’re replacing the stock speakers, remove the speaker now, as the hole will allow your hand in to fit the sound deadening material.

Remove the 7/8 10mm bolts that hold the door carrier on.

The door carrier will stay where it is - it’s held in place by a foam edging strip. I found that, where the speaker is, the foam was not stuck down and so I was able to tug at it there and work my way round. Use a trim-tool under there if it’s not budging. Worst case, run a blade around the edge. It doesn’t seem to matter if this foam is cut.

Once you’ve loosened the carrier from the door, you’ll find it will not come away easily - that seems to be the window runners catching on the door itself.
If you’re looking at the drivers’ door, the offending runner will be in the bottom right-hand corner.
You simply need to rotate the carrier clockwise and tug it, forcing the very edge of the runner to pop out of the door skin.
Once this is dealt with, the skin will be held in place by the lock mechanism - you can drill out the rivets and remove this, but I didn’t want to bite off more than I could chew.

From here you should be able to apply four sheets of Silent Coat to your door skin - both portrait, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom.

Reverse the above instructions the refit the door carrier.

I fitted two sheets to my door carrier, cutting out thee holes- two for the wiring-loom clips and one for the loom to pass through the grommet in the carrier to the lock.

Rivet-in your speaker last.

Thanks! I undid the 10mm bolts leaving one middle top. I drilled out the speaker and I was able to feed full sheets of silent coat in between the cage and cavity and I managed to cover 90% of the outer skin (over kill) and added some to the back of the inner skin. I used aluminium tape to cover gaps and joins. I ordered some 20mm off cuts foam cell that I will add immediately behind the speakers and on the back of the door card (subject to it not interfering with anything and finally I’ll add a thermal/acoustic layer.

E5268CF9-FF1C-4E39-94D0-CB82E5448315.jpeg

6C2F9BC0-BF9D-4CE6-A3B1-FAEC40235AB0.jpeg

5B4B21F2-DF1C-404C-B9E6-0D836BB2BA9F.jpeg

Thanks
I’m

Back