Ovano bed system - do the rear seats get in the way?

Damobristol

Candy White T6
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hey all,

Some advice from some Ovano XL owners would be appreciated.

I'm considering upgrading to a factory Kombi from a (windowed out) panel van.
Lots of reason for this - primarily because there are times when I still need to accommodate all my 3 kids when they are around. However, it does mean switching bed systems.

I currently have a full width Rib bed with a fridge underneath. But as a seat it isn't that comfortable and sits high to go over the wheel arches meaning headroom is compromised. I am considering an Ovano Switch XL bed system to go over the back seats in the Kombi.

With my current set up, as the bed is made up of the seats, there's lots of space to sort yourself out in at the bottom of the 'bed' when set up.

However, looking at videos of the Ovano in bed set up, the top of the folded down seats protrude beyond the foot of 'the bed' when the Ovano is in bed mode. This doesn't seem to leave any space at the foot of the bed when you get up to get yourself sorted.

How do you negotiate this? Do you actually take the rear seats out? Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

In a SWB it's tight.

As you say the rear seats protrude. You can remove the head rests to gain a tiny bit extra.

But ultimately we take the seats out and use the legs. ( We have 1+1+1)

Having front swivels makes it all workable.

With front swivels and the rear seats out there is enough room in the gap to drop in a porta potty.

And enough room to get changed seated on the front seats when spun around.

But ultimate we want to add a pop top for the extra head room.

@Dellmassive Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.

The van I'm looking at is a SWB with a 2:1 rear seat. I'd definitely fit swivels seats but I'm trying to make heading off the weekend as simple as possible so removing the seats would be a a faff. Hmmm, will have to give this some further thought.

A whole other debate, but I'm not really sold on a pop top, though I see why it would help in this scenario.

Maybe look at a lwb... 15 odd extra space.

Or just get a drive away awning for all your bits and pieces ie toilet tent, getting dressed, getting ready and just use the actual van for sleeping in.

In a SWB it's tight.

As you say the rear seats protrude. You can remove the head rests to gain a tiny bit extra.

But ultimately we take the seats out and use the legs. ( We have 1+1+1)

Having front swivels makes it all workable.

With front swivels and the rear seats out there is enough room in the gap to drop in a porta potty.

And enough room to get changed seated on the front seats when spun around.

But ultimate we want to add a pop top for the extra head room.
agree with the above

I have just picked up an Ovano switch XL and I am impressed. previously had the forty winks which relied on the back seat for the bed.

I have passenger on swivel and with the drivers fully forward and un reclined there is defo room for a portalo but it is tight.

If it was a short stay I will leave the rear seat in (triple so a little heavy) but with the seat out and legs down you get much more room. not a huge amount but enough to make a difference plus you gain the all the added storage under the base of the bed for kit bags etc

I plan on having this as my only vehicle. LWB is too long.for my drive and parking around town.

Will be getting an awning for longer stays, but for weekends was just hoping to use the van and at most a simple tarp. (I've been using a tarp on my current van and it suits us for a couple of nights).

I would be fine, but I think my GF would prefer more space.

The instances where I need 3 seats are fairly rare so maybe I need think about a different bed.

agree with the above

I have just picked up an Ovano switch XL and I am impressed. previously had the forty winks which relied on the back seat for the bed.

I have passenger on swivel and with the drivers fully forward and un reclined there is defo room for a portalo but it is tight.

If it was a short stay I will leave the rear seat in (triple so a little heavy) but with the seat out and legs down you get much more room. not a huge amount but enough to make a difference plus you gain the all the added storage under the base of the bed for kit bags etc
Thanks for the reply. Interesting you going to Ovano from 40 winks.

Portaloo definitely needed so good to know you can manage to fit one in.

I plan on having this as my only vehicle. LWB is too long.for my drive and parking around town.

Will be getting an awning for longer stays, but for weekends was just hoping to use the van and at most a simple tarp. (I've been using a tarp on my current van and it suits us for a couple of nights).

I would be fine, but I think my GF would prefer more space.

The instances where I need 3 seats are fairly rare so maybe I need think about a different bed.

Thanks for the reply. Interesting you going to Ovano from 40 winks.

Portaloo definitely needed so good to know you can manage to fit one in.
Forty winks bed and slideaway tray about same price as Ovano but found metal tray had annoying rattle that they couldn’t resolve so returned it and lived with the bed part for a year or so but missed the drawer. So far Ovano seems rattle free, more adaptable, probably easier to remove and not reliant on rear seats

Forty winks bed and slideaway tray about same price as Ovano but found metal tray had annoying rattle that they couldn’t resolve so returned it and lived with the bed part for a year or so but missed the drawer. So far Ovano seems rattle free, more adaptable, probably easier to remove and not reliant on rear seats
I have a massive thing about rattles, so good to know.

Yes, I saw the price of the forty winks drawers so much the same as Ovano. They are just down the road from me.

Cadco look pretty much the same, although a simpler design with a better price. Did you consider them?

I have a massive thing about rattles, so good to know.

Yes, I saw the price of the forty winks drawers so much the same as Ovano. They are just down the road from me.

Cadco look pretty much the same, although a simpler design with a better price. Did you consider them?
Yes but got a good deal on the ovano with a forty winks mattress and rubber mat. Personally I think the ovano has the slight edge over others. Could argue they have good resale values also

Good condition pre-owned of both makes do come up fairly regularly

I’m in Bristol, pop me a message and you’re welcome to come over and see the Ovano fitted in my LWB (same space as the SWB from the front to back seat set up). I also work around the corner to them in Clevedon so probably not far from you.

Kev

I’m in Bristol, pop me a message and you’re welcome to come over and see the Ovano fitted in my LWB (same space as the SWB from the front to back seat set up). I also work around the corner to them in Clevedon so probably not far from you.
That's very kind of you @Kev.O. Will message you tomorrow.

Back