P20EE fault code rectification

Bandit1201

Hi peeps
Firstly what a great forum and excellent knowledge base I have spent more time on here than driving the van
Thanks to the many posts on the forum my mind is at ease on the pe20ee nox sensor fault eml light co.ing on after buying obd 11 I can see this is an intermittent issue (happens every run of over 130 miles ) light stays on until cleared by obd11 not tried the ignition cycle to clear it has the wife's having g kittens with the light on
The nitty gritty bit (what I have picked up so far rightly or wrongly )
The campervan is t6
Vin code is wv1 zzz7hzkh05????
Engine type CXHA
Category N1
R4 2.0l tdI
2d2d2
Ecu software 04L906056KG
Version 3771
Mileage 16500

New version available 6168
Other modules are showing software updates available such as dsg gearbox
Infotainment steering sensor alignment etc

From reading all the info I can I get the Impression that sorting the ecu software update first could be beneficial

But as many say vw service departments don't make this easy
So far quoted £115 plus vat for diagnostic
Then they decide the next action which may take on a very different route than what I want to achieve - after driving commercial vans for years I am a sceptic when it comes to stealers ( dealers)
Interesting note the 150bhp as been chipped / tuned a few years back by previous owners to 187bhp (presumably for.more torque as a tow bar was fitted) am I right in thinking the process will be painful with the vw dealers

Van runs great just pops eml every run over 130 miles warning of intermittent fault - always historic passive - clear on scan but eml light
What's the best way to proceed without being a financial victim to vw dealers

Advice appreciated from the initiated

No way around it, you need someone with a braincell and the correct equipment to properly diagnose the problem, and that may involve more than just plugging in and reading the codes.

A software update might well fix it...or it might not, won't know until the matter is delved into.

Sadly we can only speculate from afar here.

No way around it, you need someone with a braincell and the correct equipment to properly diagnose the problem, and that may involve more than just plugging in and reading the codes.

A software update might well fix it...or it might not, won't know until the matter is delved into.

Sadly we can only speculate from afar here.
Hopefully the private dealers 6mths warranty may help but not banking on it

That software version looks old (3771).
I suspect a software upgrade will cure it; it did mine. VW did do it for free and give you 10 free ad-blue refills to cover the increased usage the new software version (6****) uses. But there are reports of VW now charging for this upgrade

Reactions: mmi
That software version looks old (3771).
I suspect a software upgrade will cure it; it did mine. VW did do it for free and give you 10 free ad-blue refills to cover the increased usage the new software version (6****) uses. But there are reports of VW now charging for this upgrade
Thanks for the reassurance I am thinking go to local garage to get the nox sensor replaced under warranty which has been confirmed by the seller then update the software via the stealer then I know if I'm getting fair deal especially if vw says its the sensor or am I over thinking - my impression is the dealers àre only as good as the tech available on the day - worst experience I ever had was with vauxhall who's apprentice put pads in back to front so the car didn't stop at the first round about hence why I'm sceptic with dealers on other occasions you can just tell the vehicle didn't even move from the spot you left it in (friday services best avoided) but that's usually service hope vw are better than that

the pe20ee nox sensor
to get the nox sensor replaced
I guess it's actually P20EE - which is not about the sensor being faulty. It's about too high NOx levels detected.

Interesting note the 150bhp as been chipped / tuned a few years back by previous owners t
Hmmm... any more info - has it ever worked without the fault?

New version available 6168
That would fix "false alarms" but if there is an underlying real fault can't cure that - of course.

I guess it's actually P20EE - which is not about the sensor being faulty. It's about too high NOx levels detected.

Hmmm... any more info - has it ever worked without the fault?

That would fix "false alarms" but if there is an underlying real fault can't cure that - of course.

Yes your right p20ee my phone auto spelt it
Only just got the van last week so unknown how long the codes have been an issue
Looking through the service documents no obvious clues
Just been out today 90 miles no eml but this just confirms its longer run issues
No obvious regen cycle during 30 mins on the motorway and rest of journey too slow on single carriageways to.get a cycle (seems our petrol partners on the roads are driving at least 20mph under to.save money ) starting to think lack of progress since getting the van could be part of the issue
Fuel tank is full and adblue at 5000 range so no other reason not to regen - baseing this on that I could tell in my passat when regen was under way by raised revs

Thanks for.taking the time to reply

Reactions: mmi
Booked in for new nox sensor in 2 weeks fingers crossed no update to software
Sad to say I just can't find enough trust in the main dealers to risk taking it in just relying on local garages with experience of vw issues and straight talking - honest appraisals
Decision based on one of our works fleet vans being pushed back from warranty on degradation of oil for adblue fault puegoet saying driver error

Last edited:
Over the years I've had main dealers, independents, and various little Fred in a Sheds all try and bend me over.

I've found little correlation between honesty and quality of service and the name Over then door. A bad garage is a bad garage regardless of the nature of their business.

Over the years I've had main dealers, independents, and various little Fred in a Sheds all try and bend me over.

I've found little correlation between honesty and quality of service and the name Over then door. A bad garage is a bad garage regardless of the nature of their business.
I have used this garage for years and know the guys in there and just decided to stick with what I know they work on loads of models and have done well with my old vw passat - the old toyota alphard was super reliable and the advice was spot on with steering fluids and gearbox oils that made it ride super smooth and all parts used always genuine and removed parts always proven there's a lot of transporters t1 through to t6 going there for the size of garage
Rather go on a journey with them than be anxious there is enough to worry about in life such as battery anxiety its a gut feeling

I can't quite understand why you wouldn't update your software first? There may be nothing wrong with your Nox sensor.
As @mmi says " not about the sensor being faulty. It's about too high NOx levels detected."
If I felt like the dealer was going to do the software update I would have gone ahead but all the running around the houses with additional charges and checks and no estimate on even the cost of the software update (for something that's described in their advertising as required to remove glitches ) but its free with over a £1000 pounds of service plan and would be done as part of the course
These comments made me loose all faith
Also.having the tune may give some fuel to the fire at the dealers
Did quite a bit of research on the three close commercial dealers and none had great reviews

Last edited:
I can't quite understand why you wouldn't update your software first? There may be nothing wrong with your Nox sensor.
As @mmi says " not about the sensor being faulty. It's about too high NOx levels detected."
I hope to get the software upgraded but will look into options for getting it done may be when on a holiday trip once I find some better reviews

So the plan at present given the van has not been on the ramps yet
Run the van over multiple distances and different road types
So far 1 run of 90 miles flattish roads gave no faults
1 run of 145miles mixed speeds including hills gave intermittent p20ee fault and eml on
More runs to be tried in the next 2 weeks runs all to be recorded
Best scenario we get an active fault
Worst case we gather data and then visually check that we get correct data transfer this will.include checking adblue for crystallisation. Pump operation . Sensor wiring . Air pipe leaks and sensor test worst case may be extracting sensor as unseen
Cat should be good given low milage but who knows
I know this is early stage fault rectification a good test of data lines as to be a sensible starting point
No one likes trying to find faults that are not constant anything replaced at this stage will be considered spares until proven otherwise
A big thanks to @mimi , @squashtec & @sackmycock I am listening and do think there's validity to software upgrade but want to satisfy my mind before going to dealers for anything
The cost of the sensor represents my budget for this first stage investigation
Intermittent usually means how long is a piece of string in relation to costs
This could.be a long trail of patience

So far 1 run of 90 miles flattish roads gave no faults
1 run of 145miles mixed speeds including hills gave intermittent p20ee fault and eml on
Did you clear the fault memory between the runs? Just to get fresh start for each run - as this fault is based on NOx emission accumulation over time.
Did you check fault memory after 90 mile run - to see if there the fault was already in pending state?

intermittent p20ee fault and eml on
Did you read the fault memory without stopping the engine? Or did you cycle the igntiion - as this usually moves the fault from active to intermittent state?

Back