Painting ply panels - interior

ReturnoftheMac

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

I’m planning to paint the walls, sliding door and tailgate panels.

Can anyone recommend a primer and hard wearing paint please?

Van has been insulated and sound headed, and had the first electrical fix.

I want limited carpet on show, going for a more scandi look.

Pic showing how far I’ve got.

Thanks

IMG_8193.jpeg

It’s the coolwhip camper 6mm kit - for reference

Reactions: CAB
I'm confused!!
You want to paint areas rather than use carpet but the pic shows a fully carpeted van?
Have you seen any vans with either bare or painted plywood that manage to pull off the Scandinavian look?

When I brought my old T5 it was ply lined but bit grubby. I sound deadened and insulated cleaned up the ply then refitted. I was still using the van for some refurb jobs so wasn’t wanting carpet that would cling on to dust and sawdust so went the painted route. I used grey ronseal fence paint i had in garage which worked surprisingly well and was easy to touch up if got scuffed. I had OEM rubber on floor though and built a DIY base unit (based on a frame from a Sky TV van). Worked well for a few yearsIMG_1151.jpegIMG_1148.jpeg

I'm confused!!
You want to paint areas rather than use carpet but the pic shows a fully carpeted van?
Have you seen any vans with either bare or painted plywood that manage to pull off the Scandinavian look?
Sorry - that’s the van as it is now. It hasn’t got panels in yet. Yeah I’ve seen a few… contour campers have done some, bear hug conversions plus some DIYers

When I brought my old T5 it was ply lined but bit grubby. I sound deadened and insulated cleaned up the ply then refitted. I was still using the van for some refurb jobs so wasn’t wanting carpet that would cling on to dust and sawdust so went the painted route. I used grey ronseal fence paint i had in garage which worked surprisingly well and was easy to touch up if got scuffed. I had OEM rubber on floor though and built a DIY base unit (based on a frame from a Sky TV van). Worked well for a few yearsView attachment 249713View attachment 249714
Thanks - did you prime it first? I was thinking an exterior wood paint

Scandinavians usually have oiled plain natural timber.

If painting a colour, based on years of home decorating, I’d use a spirit based eggshell, tinted to your preferred colour. I generally always use spirit based paints on our woodwork in the house as its much harder wearing, though does stink the house out for a few days as it dries out. I’ve tried water based but it doesnt seem to last as well inside.

That said, I use Dulux water based weathershield on outside woodwork and it lasts really well.

Sorry - that’s the van as it is now. It hasn’t got panels in yet. Yeah I’ve seen a few… contour campers have done some, bear hug conversions plus some DIYers

Thanks - did you prime it first? I was thinking an exterior wood paint
No just straight on with fence paint. 2 coats went on well with roller

If you want a scandi look you could oil the plywood or wood using Osmo oil.

It is incredibly heard wearig. My entire house floorboards are treated with it. Amazing stuff.

Normal osmo polyx will bring out the grain of wood but you can also get polyx raw, which is normal with a hint of white (my floorboards). This stops wood from yellowing over time. You can also get polyx tints. White, would whitewash your wood even further if you want a scandi vandy.

If you want a scandi look you could oil the plywood or wood using Osmo oil.

It is incredibly heard wearig. My entire house floorboards are treated with it. Amazing stuff.

Normal osmo polyx will bring out the grain of wood but you can also get polyx raw, which is normal with a hint of white (my floorboards). This stops wood from yellowing over time. You can also get polyx tints. White, would whitewash your wood even further if you want a scandi vandy.
I did my ply edges in Osmo. I agree with @Millstone the Osmo white and tinted variants will give you the scandi look rather than Gplan. All the cupboard panels are done in Valspar eggshell finish, (the more expensive paint) and Valspar primer. It does mark a bit, but very easy to get back as new with a quick roll. I put it on with a foam roller, tipped out with a brush.

Looking for same look on mine.
Like the ply guys 6mm birch but they do just sell the walls and ceilings you’ve got to buy as part of a install.
I will osmo or treatex oiling mine, think it will brighten the interior up. Where have you bought the ply kit from?

Looking good! I’ve just primed the ply bed I’ve dropped on this week, local convertor company selling them.

Back