Park pilot/reversing camera not working after installing Alpine 600W amp under seat and new speakers.

T6 Van Man

VIP Member
Hi, new member, first post... so I installed an under seat amp the other day and used the large red cable under the passenger bench seat to power it. In my infinite newbie wisdom I cut the large red cable just below the point where two smaller red cables were attached to it and securely taped them off. Put a 50amp inline fuse on the large red cable and hooked it up to the amp and it all works! Only problem is the OWM head unit now displays a Park Pilot error and parking sensors/reverse camera don't work. Should I have used a distribution block instead and kept those two mysterious wires powered up? Bought a Carista and cleared lots of errors, but one error remains... 01517 - Trailer recognition control module: no signal/communication. I don't have a trailer fitted. Any assistance appreciated...

IMG_8384.jpeg

IMG_8460.png

So to help folks will need a bit more detail.

What sort of van do you have?
Is it a T6 or T6.1?
You say you have fitted an amp but what other work have you done around the same time?
Can you get some wider pictures for context?

You say you don't have a trailer fitted but presumably you have a tow bar?

Also I assume you've tried reconnecting the wire you cut to confirm that's the root cause instead of some other wiring that's been disturbed during fitting the amp?

You may 'not have a trailer fitted' or a tow bar but you may have the control module & it is a black plastic box fitted under the seat IIRC.
I'd suspect you have disturbed the wiring/multiplug that connects to it whilst fitting your amp etc.

Connecting to the power feed itself should/will not affect it

Last edited:
I'd suspect you have disturbed the wiring/multiplug that connects to it whilst fitting your amp etc.
Generally the power for the trailer module also comes from fuses that are fed from "the large red cable", so my current suspicion from the OPs description of cutting that cable is the module has no power.

My advice to the OP would be to repair the cable they cut first.

Thanks for your feedback guys, I have a 2018 T6, only 1 previous owner from new and he didn't fit a tow bar, nor I. Work done so far... I sound deadened the entire van removing all the front seats etc, installed a LOC to the head unit to provide sound to the amp housed under the passenger seat, ran speaker cables back up to the door speakers, and cut and used the large red cable under the seat to power the amp - the only cable I've tampered with. Based on your advice I'll reconnect the cable together again tomorrow (it's dark here in Auckland at the moment) and see if that solves the problem by repowering the control module then go from there. Thanks heaps

At least reinstated you'll know if it was the cause of everything or if you need to look elsewhere.

You have VIP Membership so a benefit of that is you should be able to get a full build sheet for your van. You might not have a towbar fitted but if the van was ordered with "towbar preparation" then you'll have the electronics fitted, meaning fitting a towbar is just the mechanical fitting and a simple loom. This happens more than you might guess as the camera/parking/towbar prep is one of the "options bundles" with an offer on it as it simplifies installing the loom at the factory - it was often cheaper to order this if you wanted camera and parking than ordering them individually.

Good news! I reinstated the cable I cut and not surprisingly, my Park Pilot and reversing camera worked again So I used a distribution block to power the amp and the trailer module and everything is tickityboo! Than you very much fellow T6icians for your assistance, great community

Glad it got sorted. You have VIP Membership so you can look up the wire in the wiring diagrams next time before getting busy with the wire cutters... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the pointer, have just finished downloading every possible manual, diagram, etc available in the VIP member section - takes ages! So no more mistakes for me... not!

Back